Premium Club WiFi

tonycv replied on 29/07/2023 16:07

Posted on 29/07/2023 16:07

Am at Hurn Lane overnight on the way back from Cornwall and it has the new WiFi up and running. Looking at the club web page it lays out the comparison between free and premium, including tariffs for 24 hours, weekly, monthly and annual. Thought I'd sign up for annual at £35 but the BT WiFi pages only has the first 3 with no annual option. 

I have tried the 24 hours to see what it's like and only getting between 2 and  4Mbps so not great but just about good enough to stream videos but not in 4k

However main gripe is the lack of an annual option as the rest are far too expensive

SteveL replied on 29/08/2023 21:51

Posted on 29/08/2023 21:51

I thought I would give the new premium WiFi a go at Hurn lane and on an admittedly not particularly full site found it very good. The speed was as in the photo below. Although clearly this would come down on a full site if many sign up for it. I signed up for the £5 24 hour package, which actually ran for 26.  One thing i didn’t trial was switching between devices. It says it is possible but does not indicate how to do it. The only way I could see was to tell it to forget the network in my WiFi settings, which would have logged it off. I wasn’t confident that it would let me logon to a different device so didn’t try.

Whilst you are subscribed to the premium WiFi you can’t use the same email on a different device to connect to the free service. OK if you have two emails, not so good if you both use the same.

The free option is giving between 0.8 and 1 Mbps down and 6 up and stays logged in for at least the stipulated hour. Street view works OK but takes a few seconds to sharpen the image.

Trevorjackson replied on 25/10/2023 18:44

Posted on 25/10/2023 18:44

Good evening. We have just been to two sites in Scotland. Culloden did not offer even the free WiFi. Dunnet Bay allows for Free WiFi on 1 device, but not mine. We have tried to join annual premium for the £35 (which would have aligned us with the old system, that worked) and can’t get the annual option. 
seems like BT and CAMC don’t know what they are doing. Apparently the reason for the change was that members complained that they had to pay for WiFi, not seen any consultation or communication on that.

SteveL replied on 27/10/2023 13:10

Posted on 29/08/2023 21:51 by SteveL

I thought I would give the new premium WiFi a go at Hurn lane and on an admittedly not particularly full site found it very good. The speed was as in the photo below. Although clearly this would come down on a full site if many sign up for it. I signed up for the £5 24 hour package, which actually ran for 26.  One thing i didn’t trial was switching between devices. It says it is possible but does not indicate how to do it. The only way I could see was to tell it to forget the network in my WiFi settings, which would have logged it off. I wasn’t confident that it would let me logon to a different device so didn’t try.

Whilst you are subscribed to the premium WiFi you can’t use the same email on a different device to connect to the free service. OK if you have two emails, not so good if you both use the same.

The free option is giving between 0.8 and 1 Mbps down and 6 up and stays logged in for at least the stipulated hour. Street view works OK but takes a few seconds to sharpen the image.

Posted on 27/10/2023 13:10

In responding to another thread just now I had need to reference this one. Just realised I quoted the site mentioned in the OP, rather than where we actually were, which was Morn Hill.

Cartledge replied on 04/11/2023 15:14

Posted on 04/11/2023 15:14

Never use Club Wi-Fi or site Wi-Fi anywhere including Europe. I have a Sky mobile package with a good data allowance each month that I rarely use. What isn’t used is rolled over for up to three years. The whole package is about £19 a month for everything. We are currently at Blair Castle Caravan park where Wi-Fi is £19 a week and their signal poor.

Using my mobile which I’m paying for anyway therefore costs me nothing extra, I can roll my data allowance on when I need it from my Sky Piggy Bank, have used 40Gb this week, leaving me with 100Mb left. Local speed on 4g is 40Gb download so everything works, linked to my phone’s hotspot. My iPad, my wife’s iPhone and our onboard TV as well. No Wi-Fi fees to pay. 

tentpegs replied on 19/05/2024 09:28

Posted on 19/05/2024 09:28

Camping and Caravan Club have a free Wi-Fi service and I’m successfully streaming on it at the moment. I’ve also successfully watched BBC iPlayer. I also note the fees for staying are less than the Caravan club site. I’m a member of both but last year because of the increase of fees I did not stay on the Caravan club sites last year. So I will be this year so I’ll be able to compare

tentpegs replied on 19/05/2024 09:30

Posted on 19/05/2024 09:30

Sorry previous post is not clear. I mean I will be able to compare this year as I will be staying on a few Caravan club site’s. I’m not keen on the paying extra for premium

SteveL replied on 19/05/2024 09:51

Posted on 19/05/2024 09:30 by tentpegs

Sorry previous post is not clear. I mean I will be able to compare this year as I will be staying on a few Caravan club site’s. I’m not keen on the paying extra for premium

Posted on 19/05/2024 09:51

If you want to stream you will have to pay extra, or use your own system, as the free WiFi is 1 mbs download at best and definitely unsuitable for streaming. I am surprised you are able to on the C&CC system, as on the sites we have used that has generally not been a lot faster. Although the C&CC  WiFi does seem to vary significantly with the number of folk using it. Where as on the new CAMC version, 1 mbs is as much as you are going to get without paying extra.

vbfg replied on 19/05/2024 11:57

Posted on 04/11/2023 15:14 by Cartledge

Never use Club Wi-Fi or site Wi-Fi anywhere including Europe. I have a Sky mobile package with a good data allowance each month that I rarely use. What isn’t used is rolled over for up to three years. The whole package is about £19 a month for everything. We are currently at Blair Castle Caravan park where Wi-Fi is £19 a week and their signal poor.

Using my mobile which I’m paying for anyway therefore costs me nothing extra, I can roll my data allowance on when I need it from my Sky Piggy Bank, have used 40Gb this week, leaving me with 100Mb left. Local speed on 4g is 40Gb download so everything works, linked to my phone’s hotspot. My iPad, my wife’s iPhone and our onboard TV as well. No Wi-Fi fees to pay. 

Posted on 19/05/2024 11:57

I am surprised that your Sky package is so good.  I had their TV, landline and (home) broadband and whilst the landline and TV was fine, the broadband was dreadful, always very slow and often inaccesible at weekends, despite their very frequent adverts to the contrary.  I changed to Plusnet and have never had a problem with it. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook