Cayton village - A64 or A614 from Derby?

SteveRachM replied on 18/05/2024 11:24

Posted on 18/05/2024 11:24

We're travelling up to Cayton next Sunday, and as hubby tows, I am responsible for the route! I'm sure that there is a hill somewhere on either A64 or A614 that we can't take the caravan up. Any advice on routes gratefully received.

DavidKlyne replied on 18/05/2024 12:23

Posted on 18/05/2024 12:23

Are you thinking of Sutton Bank? Travelling from Derbyshire you wouldn't go any where near that as its east of Thirsk, much further north. Your route would probably be to join the M1/A1M , A64 to York and then in the direction of Scarborough. Been there a couple of times and don't recall much in the way of hills?

David

eurortraveller replied on 18/05/2024 12:27

Posted on 18/05/2024 12:27

I would use the direct route on the A614, then the B1249 over the Wolds going north from Driffield. There is a hill at the northern end of that road at Staxton,  but it’s down not up.  You have a choice.

richardandros replied on 18/05/2024 15:46

Posted on 18/05/2024 12:27 by eurortraveller

I would use the direct route on the A614, then the B1249 over the Wolds going north from Driffield. There is a hill at the northern end of that road at Staxton,  but it’s down not up.  You have a choice.

Posted on 18/05/2024 15:46

Being a local, eurortraveller - I wouldn't. Easiest route, by far, is the A64 until you get to the roundabout with the A1039, just after the traffic lights at the bottom of Staxton Hill.  Turn right onto the A1039 towards Flixton and follow it all the way until you get to the A165 just after Muston village.  Turn left onto A165 and then follow that until you get to the roundabout that takes you to Cayton Village on the left. I use the A1039 route regularly when we go towards Pickering / Thornton Le Dale to avoid going through Malton, towing an 8' wide van that's just over 8m long - and it's easy.

The only bugbear with the A64 - depending on what time / day of the week - is the inevitable hold up as the A64 around York changes from dual carriageway to single as you leave York - but it's only usually at peak holiday times and soon clears.

If you do use the B1249, however, Staxton is nothing to worry about.  I used to go that way with our last van (Barcelona) and managed to reach 50mph before having to slow down for the left hand bend at the top. Stopped using it because the road surface isn't very good in places.

Edit - just as an aside - on your right hand side - just before the roundabout on the A64 / A1039 - you will see a petrol station and next door is Harper's fish and chip shop / restaurant. Not suggesting you stop there with the van on the back - but try it later - I can guarantee you will get the best fish and chips of anywhere on the East / North Yorkshire coast - even better than the much acclaimed Magpie Cafe in Whitby. And I say this knowing that Whitehead's in our home town of Hornsea won the F&C Shop of the Year, last year!smile

eurortraveller replied on 18/05/2024 17:57

Posted on 18/05/2024 17:57

R&R  I appreciate your local knowledge suggestion a route via York - though I was thinking the questioner might come up via Newark, Lincoln and the Humber bridge. More choices .

wh1nbrew replied on 18/05/2024 19:49

Posted on 18/05/2024 19:49

If going up the M1 / A64 route, if you don't already know about it, the M1 is a nightmare of lane closures between Chesterfield all the way past Rotherham and then between Leeds close to the A1/M1 junction.  But as you are towing, it usually won't slow you down that much.  The M18 an A1 is probably a better option to miss most of these, but being 2 lane can also get stupidly slow, depending on which day, and time of day you hit this stretch.  Definitely try and avoid the york bypass around tea time in particular, where it narrows from dual carriageway to single carriageway for a few miles.  

SteveRachM replied on 18/05/2024 20:59

Posted on 18/05/2024 20:59

Thanks - we are coming from Derby on Sunday morning (the Sunday before bank holiday) so hopefully the roads won't be that busy. Favouring the M1 / A64 route at the moment despite the road works.

richardandros replied on 19/05/2024 05:24

Posted on 18/05/2024 17:57 by eurortraveller

R&R  I appreciate your local knowledge suggestion a route via York - though I was thinking the questioner might come up via Newark, Lincoln and the Humber bridge. More choices .

Posted on 19/05/2024 05:24

ET - then the natural choice would be Beverley, Driffield and then the B1249, as you suggest.  However, there are currently major road works on the A164 as you approach Beverley (before getting on the by-pass) with narrow lanes.  I did it last week with the van on the back - coming back from Lincoln and it's a bit scary. Unfortunately, I didn't have any choice re an alternative route - but I'd avoid it if possible.

SteveRachM - if you decide to use my suggested route - just one thing to be aware of. As you leave Muston village - just before you join the A165, there is a sharp left hand bend between buildings that's slightly less than two cars wide and you can't see around it very well.  Just take it slowly around the bend and poke the nose of the car out to make sure there isn't an bus or something coming the other way!!  It sounds horrendous describing it on here - but it isn't at all - just take it easy.  I've used that route more times than I can remember with our wide van on the back and never had a problem. At least, now, you'll be ready for it.

Doraontour replied on 23/05/2024 10:37

Posted on 23/05/2024 10:37

Hi, I was just looking at the same route, travelling Friday PM. We went to Brid a month ago from Derby, came up the M1, M18, M62 and along the A614, nice route I think. Was looking at the B1249 wondering about the road. Going north to the A64 seems a long way around, thinking of taking the A614 and then swinging up the A615 at brid maybe.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook