The Ospreys are back !!

ABM replied on 01/04/2015 16:52

Posted on 01/04/2015 16:52

April  starts  the  season  of  'Osprey  hunting'    for  me .

So  off  to  RSPB  Loch  Garten,  on-line  of  course,  and  the  sites  up, just  about,  but  no  Ospreys  as  yet.

So  over  to  Scottish  Wildlife Trusts  "Loch  of  The  Lowes"  Website  and,  and    Surprised  not  one  but  two  Ospreys  &  mating  in  full  view  of  the  cameras  !  Its  not  the  aged  "Lady"  but  a  new  female  now  in  residence,  so  we'll  have  to  see  if  the  old  girl  turns  up  at  all.  Well  she  is  believed  to  be  in  the  high  twenties  now,  darn  near  Geriatric  as  far  as  Ospreys  go !  I  understand  Rutland  has  a  number  of  arrivals   so  I  must  keep  watching  Loch  Garten  for  more  tales  of  Bad Bird  Behaviour  !!

ADP1963 replied on 19/05/2024 10:30

Posted on 19/05/2024 10:30

Once again Nellie thank you. I would love a pair to stumble on a perfect nesting spot that is available at the Bodenham Wildlife Centre it has a 5* rating and the menu would be excellent also..............we think. But that is the problem what we think doesn't matter tt's what they think ,like the Robin that built his nest in the garden in a bush beside a nest box that was built for Robins.undecided

mickysf replied on 21/05/2024 07:53

Posted on 21/05/2024 07:53

Excellent news this morning, first chick hatches at Dyfi and second egg looks likely to produce any moment!👍👏

nelliethehooker replied on 21/05/2024 21:41

Posted on 21/05/2024 07:53 by mickysf

Excellent news this morning, first chick hatches at Dyfi and second egg looks likely to produce any moment!👍👏

Posted on 21/05/2024 21:41

Yes good news, and those watchers at Threaves believe there are at least a chick in one, if not both, of the nests there. Hopefully we will see them later next month when we visit.

nelliethehooker replied on 22/05/2024 20:45

Posted on 22/05/2024 20:45

At Dyfi the second egg hatched today at 07:37. There are hatches of the first egg at the Alyth nest, either late yesterday or early this morning, and at Loch Arkaig at 06:17 today.

It looks as if there is a new male taking up with NC0 at Loch of the Lowes so hopefully they will form a pair for next season, and although a similar situation is happening at Loch Garten the new male (KL5 aka Klive), who chased away the resident male, Brodie, is not yet doing the best he can to ensure that Asha will accept him.

nelliethehooker replied on 23/05/2024 20:43

Posted on 23/05/2024 20:43

Further updates :-

There was a second egg hatched in the same day at Loch Arkaig, at 22:25 yesterday

There is a report from Keilder of a chick being heard, but not seen, today in Nest 7, and at Poole the first egg hatched at 07:44 today.

mickysf replied on 24/05/2024 18:14

Posted on 24/05/2024 11:15 by RedKite

Saw the Poole chick on this evening's local news great to see and 3 more eggs to hatch.

Posted on 24/05/2024 18:14

That’s good news RedKite, do you happen to know what these Poole birds are predominantly feeding on? I was reading an article about Ospreys abroad where much of their diet is course and saltwater fish. Apparently many course fish come to the surface in the spring and early summer to spawn making them then most susceptible to predation. The ospreys time their breeding to match this it seems.

RedKite replied on 24/05/2024 19:44

Posted on 24/05/2024 19:44

I would imagine they feed on fish in the local area.

I know that the Ospreys that were around the Brenne when I saw them earlier this year and they were feeding on the local lakes so a variety of fish even smaller carp which is a local fish and also that fish is used in local restaurants as well.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook