Cool my Camper air conditioning unit

10 posts
Quote | Report

Bought one of these last year for my motorhome used it in france for two weeks worked really well and it uses very lttle  amps which is good on sites with low amps  not too noisy as i managed to sleep with it on all night lovely and cool. Well worth the money to keep you cool

Quote | Report

I have had a Truma Aventa Comfort fitted to my caravan and so far have only really tested it out. But would say it seems very efficient and very quiet. I am a light sleeper but would have no problems with this Staying on.

Quote | Report

Had one for 3 years now. Had to modify the brackets to fit windows with the blind cassettes. Works quite well, struggles a bit in high temperatures with big vans. Stows under our fixed bed ok. Bit of a task dragging it out and setting up so I wouldnt bother to use it for one night stops. Cant use the blinds when fitted so we draw curtains behind it, hold them closed with clothes pegs. I think its well worth the price, glad to have it.

Quote | Report

We were on the next-but-one pitch to someone using one of those.  It was outside the window on our side and I can only conclude that it must have been faulty, because it was that noisy for us we asked them to turn it down!  Or is is possibly noisier outside than in?  We were sitting outside and we wondered what on earth was happening when it first started up, until we saw it!

We have roof-fitted aircon, which is fairly quiet, but you can still hear it.  We are very careful when using it as we are very conscious of not bothering any neighbours and we always check by going to the next pitch whether it can be heard.  If it can then we don't use it; after all we didn't have it for years and managed quite well, it was already fitted when we bought the MH, otherwise we wouldn't have had it fitted for the number of times used.

Quote | Report

I was very conscious of the noise  aspect but in practice ours has not been a problem. Using it  last  year  during the hottest part of the day several people on the site  asked if they could take a closer  look (inside and out) as they were impressed with the quiet running and possibly interested in getting one themselves. It does have several settings and the highest is naturally louder than the slower speeds. We have  not left it on all night,  not because of the noise but due to it cutting  in and out at  lower settings.

Quote | Report

It is a tad noisier outside but I've listened and its not intrusive. Never felt the need to use it in the UK. French pitches are often quite big so the distances between vans helps. Have had to keep it on all night to keep the dogs cool and its really not a problem. InaD is right though, in 3 years ours has probably run for no more than 15-20 days (and nights). If we werent taking our dogs to France every year we wouldnt have bought one.

Quote | Report

It is a tad noisier outside but I've listened and its not intrusive. Never felt the need to use it in the UK. French pitches are often quite big so the distances between vans helps. Have had to keep it on all night to keep the dogs cool and its really not a problem. InaD is right though, in 3 years ours has probably run for no more than 15-20 days (and nights). If we werent taking our dogs to France every year we wouldnt have bought one.

Well, as I said, there may have been something wrong with the one we could hear.  As it happened, we were moving on the next day, but I can tell you that, had that not been the case, we would have moved to a different pitch!  As you say, French piches are large, and they were 2 pitches away, so a decent distance, but that was intrusive.  Of course, it also depends on the type of site: if there is a fair bit of background noise, then it won't be as noticeable as on a site in the middle of nowhere, with only birdsong as "noise".

Quote | Report

Previous experience with air con in the home is that if they are not used on a regular basis they seem to go faulty quicker and have to be regassed.

We never used it during the winter, but come summer and you switched it on, it would not operate properly and you had to call out the tech. It was the tech that advised us to switch it on for a few hours every month during the winter months.