Hello - Advice re vets in Calais please.

23 posts
Quote | Report

Have just joined and would be very grateful for any advice on preferably english speaking vets in Calais.  We are nervously taking our two dogs to France for the first time in the summer.  We had actually planned to go last year but unfortunately had to cancel as I was diagnosied to with inflammatory breast cancer (now zapped thank goodness) two weeks after we had booked our tunnel crossing. Thanks in anticipation.

Quote | Report

I have always used the vets in Forges Les Eaux about a days drive from Calais. It saves hanging around in the Calais area for 24 hours.

There is a municipal site about 10mins walk from the vets or if you have a motorhome there is a very good aire opposite the site for euros 7.5 a night with full services including electricity in season.

The vet is : 

Dr Patrick Pattyn 

1. Rue De Neufchatel
76440 Forges-les-Eaux
France

Telephone +33235905555 

The receptionist speaks English as do the vets and if you take your own treatments the cost is 26 euros.

peedee

Quote | Report

I had heard of a campsite near St Omer where the owners wife is a vets receptionist and she will do all the arrangements for you. It has taken me a while to find the site but it is Camping Chaumiere Not used it myself but the vets is 

Dr Gerion and Dr Dandrifosse
5 Rue de Belfort
Saint Omer
Fax03 21 88 28 89

Phone 03 21 88 04 64 or 03 21 88 87 54

They all speak English.

peedee

Quote | Report

We have stayed at Chaumiere with our two dogs for 5 years as a stopover on the way home for the dogs to go to the vets. If you book to stay they will book the vet for you when it suits you. There must have been 6 others there at the same time so they know what they are doing.

Quote | Report

Morning everyone, thank you so much for all the excellent suggestions, I am sure this thread will get a lot of views!

I do have one further suggestion: dog travel blog this website has details of a French vet near Calais (including a photograph!) along with lots of other help and information.

Don't forget that the pet travel rules changed on the 1st January details can be found here: New pet rules

Quote | Report

You can book directly with the owners or La Chaumiere, through the link PeeDee provided.  However, many people don't wait until they get back to Calais, now that the rules have changed on timings, but visit a vet near to their 'main campsite'.  Almost all campsites have lists of recommended vets.