Retirement or living on sites permanently?

15 posts
Quote | Report

Hi all,

Is this possible? I ask as nearing retirement age and wondering is it possible for a tourer or do you have to be in a static on a recognised residential park home site. We have just come back from a site in Essex where a lady on the next pitch to us does just that stays all year round, how does this work regarding Council Tax, voting and registering with Doctors, Pensions & Benefits?

Quote | Report

I think it can be done as long as you're still fit enough.

Council Tax? - No house - no Council Tax
Voting? - why bother? Does it make any difference anyway?
Registering with doctors? - if you're fit enough you don't need them
Pensions and benefits? - these are paid into your bank automatically

I'd love to live like that, but my daughter will not let me sell the house. LOL

Quote | Report

Highlandman

you beat me to it i was typing almost the same thing.Sounds like a good way to spend your retirement only 32 years for me then!!Maybe a wardens job?

Just tell everyone whee you will be staying and get them to post everything to the site office FAO swanny they may get annoyed after a few weeks of post.

Quote | Report

You have to move around (approx once a month) you cannot stay on the same site all year, we know a couple who sold up and bought a larger van and just go from summer site to autumn site to winter etc... They still go back to their old doctor/hospital though, think they have a PO address for that. Personally I like the life other friends have winter abroad come home and tour all summer. If I didn't have, mothers, kids & grandkids to consider that would be the life for me !

Alison

Quote | Report

Love to do this,one day when mr lottery smiles upon us we will be of like a shot , first to cornwall then angelsey then up to scotland and just keep on touring for as long as possible ( if any kind soul would like to fund this dream i would love to accept any offers  )...........

Quote | Report

My parents have started doing it now,my father works 28 days away and 28 days at home on time off,so its in the motorhome and across to ireland,france,belguim with a few days in the UK as well.Nothing to do with doing the 93 days rule for UK taxesInnocent play less tax and get holidays every month sounds good to me.

Quote | Report

Hi Swanny, we retired this year and treated ourselves to a new van with every intention of getting away as much as possible while still keeping contact with family and friends. We have been away for more time than we have been at home so far and are loving every minute. We think that we have the best of both worlds, off with the dogs when it suits us,visiting new sites and meeting new folk but having home to go back to and catch up with the post, to say nothing of the garden plus the washing and ironing of course! Whatever you decide to do Swanny, enjoy it!

Quote | Report

To do this properly you would have to sell everything  and only keep a tiny few keepsakes, because of the room / weight .  You would have to be a nomad at heart. I wouldn't say I'm a hoarder but I do tend to keep some things "just in case", so although the idea appeals to me I would never do it. Hooray for the touring caravan, at least I can take part some of the time.  Smile

Quote | Report

Hi all,

Is this possible? I ask as nearing retirement age and wondering is it possible for a tourer or do you have to be in a static on a recognised residential park home site. We have just come back from a site in Essex where a lady on the next pitch to us does just that stays all year round, how does this work regarding Council Tax, voting and registering with Doctors, Pensions & Benefits?

You may find this Forum useful:

http://www.motorhome365.com

Although it’s aimed specifically at Motorhomers, it does deal with the general legalities of Full Timing which will be relevant to Caravanners too.

And this discussion on another Forum may be of interest:

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=25212&posts=6

Your community manager

Hi, I'm Ro.Welcome to Club Together. I’m here to help you get the most out of the community.

Contact me