Maximum outfit length on club sites

23 posts
Quote | Report

The reason for the limit is that is the maximum length of caravan or motorhome that will fit on the largest pitches. As on site a car is alongside the caravan the car does not need to be included inthe overall length, but you must use the overall length of the caravan not the body length.

Quote | Report

I agree, Length of outfit = rear of caravan to tip of hitch (A frame) Similar for a motorhome.

However in the past before "the fire problem" I have been allowed to overhang a hardstanding pitch with both my American  motorhomes (10.7 m & 8.9 m.) provided;

a) that no part of the motorhome is in contact with the ground past the rear boundary of the pitch.

b) That there was sufficient distance from the rear wall of the motorhome to any other pitch/vehicle. That was up to 18 mths ago but now as I say the recent fire has maybe altered this.

Quote | Report

You can still overhang the hardstanding if necessary, as long as you maintain the required safety spacing.

We had almost half our van overhanging at Cirencester as on some awning pitches there, the car has to be parked across the front of the van.

The site was fully booked and all the bigger pitches taken, so despite having an 8m van (as disclosed on the booking form) we were left with a pitch barely longer than the van and only wide enough for van+awning.

Warden came and supervised how far back we went, luckily there were trees and a big gap to the vans behind.

Quote | Report

The reason for the limit is that is the maximum length of caravan or motorhome that will fit on the largest pitches. As on site a car is alongside the caravan the car does not need to be included inthe overall length, but you must use the overall length of the caravan not the body length.

Sometimes the length can also be limited by the approach road to the site.

Quote | Report

However in the past before "the fire problem" I have been allowed to overhang a hardstanding pitch with both my American  motorhomes (10.7 m & 8.9 m.) provided;

We often overhang at the rear of the pitch - never yet been told we cant and also seen lots of the bigger euro's doing the same thing. We always park right on the site perimeter though (apart from once when we were on a service pitch) , so may be different if you are in a middle row. 

The strange thing is we were told the length restrictions had been put in because of health and safety on site roads, yet non of the site roads had changed! Plus - in my opinion- a huge caravan on a big 4 x 4 is more dangerous on site  and is less manoeverable than a motorhome.   A lot of the pitches will take much bigger than is now the max length with no problem - I know of lots of pictures that prove that without a doubt.

KjellNN - I thought 7m was the max length for a caravan in the UK? Or did it change when the width did?

Quote | Report

8m includes drawbar.  The pitch was about 9m long,  just long enough for the van to be off the road a bit.

They do have bigger pitches, but they all go first, so the ones left were the narrow ones where you are expected to park your car across the front of your van, which is impossible with a long van unless you overhang the grass.

Quote | Report

Outfit means car, caravan and awning (if one is up), except in the case of the max length for sites, which means shipping length of caravan / motorhome.

It would be better if they said shipping length as 'outfit' is used by all to mean, well, your outfit lol.