Isabella/Ventura Explorer XLarge l/weight awning

7 posts
Quote | Report

PLEASE HELP....

We are looking for a weekend lightweight awning and are considering the Explorer Xlarge.  Does anyone have one of these or know anyone who does? I have been around, what feels like, hundreds of dealers trying to get an awning that would fit our van and this it seems is it! Before we finally hand over our money I'd really like to hear reviews/comments from others.

Quote | Report

I have just returned from my first weekend using this awning...and what a disappointment. Dont get me wrong the awning itself is very good quality and easy to put up, but the measurements are misleading. I bought it(as an impulse buy) at the SECC Caravan show - given the measurements of 350cm wide, I went over to the Bailey Nicorn stand and measured it against my Valencia....perfect fit! However I now find it is not - the problem is that is not 350cm at the back of the awning(more like 310cm) - this means the nice padded edge and supporting pole end up in the middle of the window at the fixed bed. So you lose the benefit of a good seal and it also means the locker door for the underbed storage cannot be opened. The awning cannot be moved to any position without the upright  being in the middle of a window. So, all in all I am not a happy chappy and if you are interested in buying it please let me know.

Quote | Report

I didn't get much of a response after my initial post and so ended up buying one anyway, unfortunately in the end and we were dissapointed too! We used it for the first time last week for seven nights away and although the measurements were fine it came down across the wheel arch and as such did not fit properly, plus it leaked constantly and we were drenched! The dealer says it's normal for new awnings to leak? weathering?? but i'm not convinced!  

Quote | Report

Go back to Isabella if I were you. Sweat maybe, all lightweights do, but leak no. Think on it like a waterproof jacket and you get where I'm at. Got one in March, lucky birthday present, and very pleased, survived terrible weather at Hurn Lane - good site fantastic wardens. Good balance between size, weight and ease of use. Fits fine on our van missing all windows, vents and external connections - Bailey Carolina S6. Gives us all the space we need - its bigger than the OBI full awning my folks had on their Sprite 400 when I was a lad. In fact its bigger than the van.

Quote | Report

Isabella provided a replacement and we've since used it 3 times. I take back all my negative comments, it's excellent! No leaks, perfect fit for our swift challenger sport 586 and looks great - even in the rain