Stop your flush from freezing

23 posts
Quote | Report

Following several member queries regarding the water tank and flush freezing, Thetford have given the Club the following advice;

Unfortunately, Thetford do not actually manufacture an antifreeze.  Having said this should you feel it necessary, brands containing the following properties may be used in the fresh watertank:

• Ethylene glycol
  • Mono-ethylene glycol
  • Propane-diol
  • Glycerol
  • Ethane-diol
  • Glycol

Never use alcohol based anti-freeze, i.e. Methanol, Ethanol and Iso-propanol.

N.B.  antifreeze may only be used in toilets incorporating their own watertank, never in a unit which draws from the main water supply, i.e. the C200CS model.

Quote | Report

This morning on site the kitchen sink wouldnt empty, the bathroom one would so the missus went to investigate and she said the waste pipes were frozen, after sending boiling water down it still didnt help.

I went outside and got under the van, disconnected a few pipes and managed to get a 4 inch lump of solid ice out.

We have a sleeping bag over the aquaroll to help that.

Just been on t' moors with the dog and its bottle ice underfoot in the dips, even the mole hills are solid, this morning was a picture postcard winters day with white treetops and tomorrow will be the same.

Thanks for the info Kelly.

Quote | Report

This morning on site the kitchen sink wouldnt empty, the bathroom one would so the missus went to investigate and she said the waste pipes were frozen, after sending boiling water down it still didnt help.

I went outside and got under the van, disconnected a few pipes and managed to get a 4 inch lump of solid ice out.

Are you using a pipe into a Wastemaster? A tip I was given by someone who camped a lot in the north of Scotland was to just have a bucket under the waste so the waste water drains freely. Obviously won't stop the water freezing in the bucket but should help with the pipes.

David

Quote | Report

i asked a few years ago by email and got the same reply.not tried it yet.did not like the last bit.

Thank you for your e-mail.
Any antifreeze used should be non acidic and non corrosive. Generally any non toxic anti freeze that is mono propylene glycol based should be ok. If using anti freeze please adhere to the manufacturers instructions at all times.
Please refer to your Thetford Users Manual with regards to using the toilet in the winter. Please be aware that Thetford accept no responsibility for damage caused by any anti freeze products.
Kind regards,
Thetford Customer Care.

Quote | Report

Apart from draining straight into a bucket ,it"s prudent to make sure there are no "dips" or low points where water can sit & freeze .If this happens though ,they can be thawed out using a hair dryer or independant car windscreen heater/blower (see "Wowchers latest offers) to eliminate crawling under the van .All the best  Pete .

Quote | Report

Morning folks, just to keep thee informed another -5/6 last neet in the dales and this morning was another problem.

The fresh water pipes are frozen solid, cant get owt to work, have been using hairdryer and small heater under seat to warm pipes, 2 hrs later and still nothing.

We have a 5lt container to keep going withand will need to boil the kettle for washing  up but that isnt the answer, I only hope if / when the pipes defrost there are no long term problems like cracks or splits.

Oh the joys of caravanning !

On t' bright side, tis a beautiful crisp morning with sights most folk dream of.