Water Ingress

37 posts
Quote | Report

We have a one year old Swift Challenger Sport and it has just come back from its first service.  Unfortunately they have found 30% damp by the sky light and 30-100% damp in the corner above the fixed bed.  Our dealers say it is the worst damp they have ever seen in a one year old van.  The caravan is obviously going back to Swift!  I'm just after some advice of what to expect while we go through this process with Swift.  Many thanks.

Quote | Report

We have a one year old Swift Challenger Sport and it has just come back from its first service.  Unfortunately they have found 30% damp by the sky light and 30-100% damp in the corner above the fixed bed.  Our dealers say it is the worst damp they have ever seen in a one year old van.  The caravan is obviously going back to Swift!  I'm just after some advice of what to expect while we go through this process with Swift.  Many thanks.

Don't expect anything, demand a replacement while it's being repaired assuming it cannot be rejected without loss, the dealer is liable not Swift, I believe this is a known problem and the dealer should have contacted you for a check as soon as the problem became known generally.

Quote | Report

Hi daveat28,

I am really sorry to read of your problems with your Swift. If the van is under a year old you should have a case for a replacement. However, I doubt if you are likely to achieve that without a real struggle. If your dealer declines that request, which should be in writing, I would seriously consider wether you should get some legal advice. If your van has such a level of water ingress as you are claiming. It is clearly "not fit for purpose" and that should be your basis for negotiation on a replacement. I sincerely wish you all the very best in your struggle for justice here.

Peter

Quote | Report

If your van is definitely going back to Swift you need it in writing from them, that after their inspection a decision will be made after both parties agree on the work needed doing. If the damage is so bad you could have good grounds to reject the van, at no point should you accept work carried out unless your really happy. If the manufacturers are near then you need to make arrangements to inspect the van if it goes as far as that the van is opened up and take a camera. If you except repair work, it is much harder to make a claim and more costly but if you win your case you should get you costs back.   

Quote | Report

If your van has such a level of water ingress as you are claiming. It is clearly "not fit for purpose" and that should be your basis for negotiation on a replacement. I sincerely wish you all the very best in your struggle for justice here.

Peter

i agree with that.ask for a replacement as not fit for use.

Quote | Report

Like Peter says, another sad indictment of British Caravans but, there will always be a "Friday afternoon" van. It's just a bummer you have one. Don't be afraid of showing that you are not impressed! Vans are not cheap and you deserve recompense whatever that might be.

Quote | Report

Thanks everyone for your responses.  You have all just confirmed what we were originally thinking in that we are going to fight them every step of the way to try and get the caravan replaced.  We are insured with the Caravan Club so I'm going to contact them today to ask how it will affect our insurance in the future as it has had this problem.  Unfortunately the caravans that were recalled last year were all 2011 models and ours is a 2012 model.  We are still waiting to have it in writing from both Swift and our dealership.  I was interested to read that the dealers are liable, not Swift, although thinking about it, the van is a dealer special so I suppose it is built using their spec.

Thanks again for your advice.  I'll keep you all posted!

Quote | Report

Thanks everyone for your responses.  You have all just confirmed what we were originally thinking in that we are going to fight them every step of the way to try and get the caravan replaced.  We are insured with the Caravan Club so I'm going to contact them today to ask how it will affect our insurance in the future as it has had this problem.  Unfortunately the caravans that were recalled last year were all 2011 models and ours is a 2012 model.  We are still waiting to have it in writing from both Swift and our dealership.  I was interested to read that the dealers are liable, not Swift, although thinking about it, the van is a dealer special so I suppose it is built using their spec.

Thanks again for your advice.  I'll keep you all posted!

You might want to use the clubs legal advice line for help with your rights.