Stabalizer bracket for detatched swan neck towball

19 posts
Quote | Report

I'm trying to find out where to get a stabalizer bracket for a swan neck towball. We have a bulldog/Q2000 flat bar stabaliser type. The problem being is the detatchable swan neck towball is not straight but is tapered and so everytime we fit a bracket to it, it slips off and then slides up and down.  Using a 51 registered ford galaxy 2.5 petrol manual and a lunar silver jubilee 4 berth. Sold a bracket from towsure which is the right one as long as you dont have a tapered swan neck towball. We have tried a alco hitch but it dosent fit the detatchable ball, got one second hand to use but despite removing all the grease the ball is to big to fit. I've tried looking everywhere to find a suitable bracket but it seems no-one does one. We've been given idea's to either drill a small hole into the swan neck for the grub screw to tighten into or to weld the bracket onto the swan neck. Both of which is ILLEGAL and so is any alterations made to the original tow equipment on the vehicle and now is part of the mot test. Any welding could cause changes to the metal structure and cause a failure. At the moment its towing without a stabaliser. Any ideas?

Quote | Report

We have tried a alco hitch but it dosent fit the detatchable ball, got one second hand to use but despite removing all the grease the ball is to big to fit.

I don't understand how an AlKo hitch doesn't fit a detachable ball. That would be the first time I've ever heard of such a problem. Perhaps you can elaborate.

Quote | Report

We have tried a alco hitch but it dosent fit the detatchable ball, got one second hand to use but despite removing all the grease the ball is to big to fit.

I don't understand how an AlKo hitch doesn't fit a detachable ball. That would be the first time I've ever heard of such a problem. Perhaps you can elaborate.

I read the OP as needing to fit a bracket on the towbar for a leaf spring type stabaliser (Bulldog type etc.)

Quote | Report

I read the OP as needing to fit a bracket on the towbar for a leaf spring type stabaliser (Bulldog type etc.)

Yes, I understood that to be the case, too. However, it sounds as though he also tried an AlKo stabiliser instead of the leaf spring type and for some reason it wouldn't hitch, which sounds strange to me.

Quote | Report

Yes, I understood that to be the case, too. However, it sounds as though he also tried an AlKo stabiliser instead of the leaf spring type and for some reason it wouldn't hitch, which sounds strange to me.

See what you mean. If he removed grease to fit then it would be too big. Fitted the old style wet (greased) towbar which were larger.Wrong Alko hitch - if it was Alko..

Quote | Report

See what you mean. If he removed grease to fit then it would be too big. Fitted the old style wet (greased) towbar which were larger.Wrong Alko hitch - if it was Alko..

Now you've lost me Undecided What's bigger/larger? All (recent) tow balls are 50mm dia and so all hitches will fit either the proper Alko hitch or a standard stubby two bolt flange type ball. The difference in the correct hitch & the wrong one is length the neck that the ball sits on. 

Quote | Report

As  the OP states his Alko stabiliser is second hand, I wonder if it has been stored in the tow position (closed) and the pads have become stuck and do not release when the spring tension is removed. Perhaps a service with new lateral pads will cure the problem. ( if they are seized I suspect they may not able to be removed without damage)

Quote | Report

He wrote that his car has a detachable swan neck towbar. That should take an AlKo stabiliser hitch just as well as a standard (greased) one. That's what's so puzzling.

Write your comments here... Lutz this sounds like he has a 2" (50.8mm) ball which wouldn't fit an Alko stabiliser hitch as they are designed for 50mm balls. 2" balls were available as detachable when they first came out as they had to be suitable for non stabilised hitches like B&B uk Alko et al. I have never liked the idea of fitting blade stabilisers to detachable balls especially swan neck types. I'm afraid that the original swan neck fixing has gone out of stock & the best solution would be to get a new one fitted to the car & use an Alko 3004 on the van

Your community manager

Hi, I'm Ro.Welcome to Club Together. I’m here to help you get the most out of the community.

Contact me