window stays won't tighten

12 posts
Quote | Report

I have an Ace Jubilee Diplomat 2005. The windows have a telescopic rod each side and a plastic locking nut to hold the window in the open position. The knobs don't hold the window open even when fully tightened.  Is there any adjustment which would fix the problem without having to replace the fittings.

Quote | Report

I think if the threads have gone they it will tighten to a point at which the nob turns but the thread is slipping because of wear. If the nob comes to a point where it will not turn further then the end must be short of catching. I wil have another look at the ones on my caravan but it sounds as though they will need replacing. If there is a caravan scrap yard near you there might be a saving to be had by getting them second hand.

Quote | Report

Hi, I have an Ace Award and a few years ago I dismantled a telescopic window stay which wouldn't hold. The knob you turn is, as you say threaded, at the inner end of the threaded section was a small piece of metal, I can only describe it like a wedge. This 'wedge' then presses on the telescopic sliding rod and the force stops the rod from sliding, to hold the window open. It is possible that the 'wedge' has either broken or become dislodged. Perhaps the threaded part is no longer pressing on the 'wedge' Try to remove the fastener from the window to see if you can get access to see what has happened. Caravan breakers will have loads of these fasteners. Make sure you get one for the correct side.

Quote | Report

Thanks to Wildwood and Nuggy for your input. I have been away for a few days, hence delay in reply. I have dismantled the stays and reassembled and they now seem to be gripping  when the window is fully or at least open wider. The problem is when you want the window only slightly open (say 2 inches or so). It just flaps. I now think that its just the play on the bottom part of the stay where it joins the window. Perhaps a second hand replacement will be the answer. In the meantime I have devised a plastic wedge.Thanks again for your contributions.

Quote | Report

This problem is mostly to do with flexibility in the hinge/ball joint fitting on the window frame allied with a bit of wear . You will find that its effect increases the nearer to closed it is , but these stays will never stop flexing no matter where the window is set . BTW they are stock items that are available in any good accessories shop or on line

KenHappy

Quote | Report

I do agree that the problem is indeed down to the design of the arm i.e. the flexibility of the hinge and lower portion of the telescopic rod. I suspect therefore even if I were to buy a replacement, it wouldn't necessarily cure the problem altogether.We can live with it. Thanks to all of you for your contributions and advice.

Cheers