Wiring for fridge and battery charging 13 pin plug

36 posts
Quote | Report

The previous owner of my 2007 Series 6 Pageant rewired the two cables into a 13 pin plug. At a recent service the comment was made that only the fridge was connected and not the battery charging when the car was connected and ignition on. I see from UK trailer parts web site they recommend that pin 10 should only be used for either the fridge or the battery charge as to connect both could overload the car connection to that pin. Strange my dealer was not aware of this and if true a retrograde step from the old 7S plug where two separate pins were used. Any advice please before I start prodding about.

Quote | Report

Hi Truck,

Pin 10 is ignition controlled power for fridge/charging for the van battery ie engine running above idle on a normally wired 13 pin.. I know of no problems when wired like this. You could always check in your Club handbook for confirmation of this. The old pin 2 (blue wire) on a 12s plug (grey) is no longer used and hasnt been since the late 90's on British vans.

Tj

Quote | Report

http://www.westerntowing.co.uk/acatalog/Caravan_13pin_Wiring_Diagram.html

not forgetting that your caravan's habitation relay directs power to your caravn's battery charging when the engine is running from terminal 9 ie the same wire that you can power your caravan from when hitched up (not for too long otherwise you'll end up with a flat car battery)

Appologies if teaching  you to suck eggs! ;-)

Quote | Report

Thanks to you all. I need to learn here EmilysDad, hence my post and it seems to me that the rewirer has not connected the van end for charging to pin 10 or the permanent live to pin 9 when he recabled to a 13 pin. What does pin 9 power normally apart from say ATC if installed. And if you combine charging and fridge on one cable from the split charge on pin10 what prevents the fridge running off the caravan battery when ignition is off but van still connected to car? I need to have a dig and see what wiring has been done into the 13 pin plug from the two old style cables masked by much wrapping of tape! Thanks again and open to more input. Geoff.

Quote | Report

Thanks to you all. I need to learn here EmilysDad, hence my post and it seems to me that the rewirer has not connected the van end for charging to pin 10 or the permanent live to pin 9 when he recabled to a 13 pin. What does pin 9 power normally apart from say ATC if installed. And if you combine charging and fridge on one cable from the split charge on pin10 what prevents the fridge running off the caravan battery when ignition is off but van still connected to car? I need to have a dig and see what wiring has been done into the 13 pin plug from the two old style cables masked by much wrapping of tape! Thanks again and open to more input. Geoff.

Pin 9 has the ability to provide 12 volts to your caravan when you're connected up to the car and your caravan battery is flat obviously use sparingly otherwise you'll have 2 flat batteries.

Your charging is from pin 9 via your caravan's habitation relay which disconnects your caravan's 12 volts electrics so that when connected to your car (with engine running) there shouldn't be any 12 volts available inside - fridge & charging exepted. ;-) Fridge is via its own pin 10

Quote | Report

Many thanks EmilysDad for this clarification. It is a myth therefore to think that under the 13 pin system battery charging takes place only when ignition is on but rather through pin 9 if connected which means the car and caravan batteries are linked whilst the two are hooked up. I suspect my previous owner has elected not to connect pin 9 on the van side when he rewired the two leads into one plug. We are off this weekend and I will check my battery reading after motor mover use but before we hook up and again when we arrive to see if any power has gone in rather than strip the plug at this stage.

Quote | Report

My understanding is that the car and van batteries are not linked when a 13pin plug is correctly wired.

Pin 9 is the Car +ve and Pin 13 the Car -ve

Pin 10 is the Fridge +ve and Pin 11 the Fridge -ve

When the engine is stopped pin 9 is a live feed to the car but the van battery isn't in circuit because of the control relays and the van battery isn't getting charged. The two batteries are not connected.

When you start the engine and the split charge relay closes then the fridge starts cooling and a relay makes to allow the battery to start charging, this takes place assuming the split charge relay closes due to sufficient car voltage and the battery charging takes place via pin 9. if pin 9 isn't connected then you will not get the battery to charge from the car when the car engine is running.

ATC starts and carries out the pre checks when the car engine is stopped and the van is plugged in.

Quote | Report

My understanding is that the car and van batteries are not linked when a 13pin plug is correctly wired.

Pin 9 is the Car +ve and Pin 13 the Car -ve

Pin 10 is the Fridge +ve and Pin 11 the Fridge -ve

When the engine is stopped pin 9 is a live feed to the car but the van battery isn't in circuit because of the control relays and the van battery isn't getting charged. The two batteries are not connected.

When you start the engine and the split charge relay closes then the fridge starts cooling and a relay makes to allow the battery to start charging, this takes place assuming the split charge relay closes due to sufficient car voltage and the battery charging takes place via pin 9. if pin 9 isn't connected then you will not get the battery to charge from the car when the car engine is running.

ATC starts and carries out the pre checks when the car engine is stopped and the van is plugged in.

As Pugwash says, see here for Bailey connections pages 11 and 12  http://asgs97.dsl.pipex.com/g7acu/literature/Bailey_Electrical.pdf

Pin 9 is the Car +ve green wire 12S pin4 and Pin 13 the Car -ve white wire old pin 3

Pin 10 is the Fridge +ve  red wire old pin 6 and Pin 11 the Fridge -ve old pin 7 black wire.

Pity Baileys wiring is not as is, but a line diagram unlike Swift which is as is and easier for the layman to follow