Aire's in the UK ?

61 posts
Quote | Report

I am aware that an attempt has been made by other organisations to create Aire's for Motor-homes in the UK, but should the Caravan Club be instumental in promoting  a network in the UK ?

In these cash strapped times, this sort of location can only help the local economy of local towens and villages, for very little outlay.

Quote | Report

Love to think they would at least give it a try. I posted this in another thread on a CL discussion:

“There is a great need for all year round pitches close to hot spots like York and Bristol. Is there not an opportunity for the club to develop partnerships with land owners, e.g councils to provide CL type facilities or dare I say it, Aire type facilities as provided on the Continent.”

There must be suitable places in this country where it could be done using barrier controlled entries and charging by card. Lytham St Annes is going to give it a go but as for the club being instrumental in anything like that, I think there is more chance of seeing pigs fly.

peedee

Quote | Report

"...as for the club being instrumental in anything like that, I think there is more chance of seeing pigs fly."

I tend to agree peedee, as every Aire would be potential lost pitch revenue for the CC, unless they operated the Aire themselves. If they did however, I would support them fully given that our MH is excluded from club sites owing to its length.

Rallier

Quote | Report

every Aire would be potential lost pitch revenue for the CC, unless they operated the Aire themselves.

Rallier

I think there could be a gain. Even if you ignored the potential goodwill of the motorhome owning community, If you had to be a member to use them, it could increase membership plus I think many foreign motorhome tourist are put off from touring here due to the parking problems, I can only see it as an encouragment to them to visit. Don't think anyone expects them to be free either, increasingly Aires are also being charged for on the Continent. Last time I stayed at Le Touquet it was 9 euros for the night, pay the machine.Water was another 2 euros if you wanted it!  I now prefer Le Crotoy, 5 euros a night, take a ticket from the machine but no services.

Security could be a problem but that is down to choice of location and use of CCTV. Canterbury never seems to have a problem with their Aire. Britstops also seem to be gaining in popularity

peedee

Quote | Report

Aires are very popular in France and found all over the country.  They are places where motorhomes can park overnight - some are free, some make a small charge.  Water and electricity can be purchased on some sites.  Often very close to the town.  We always use the one at Gravelines the night before we catch the ferry at Dunkirk.  No facilities but completely free.  River in front, walled town behind - lovely.

Quote | Report

Pardon my ignorance, but what is/are Aires?

An Aires is a pub or similar that allows you to stay overnight in their car park some charge a small fee others are free normally if you have a meal or drink in the pub Hope this helps Jim.

Quote | Report

If you ever go to France or Germany you will see the benefits of Aires to Motorhome users. Caravans are not allowed on Aires. They are small facilities in lots of Towns and Cities which allow the motorhomer to top up the water and empty the toilet in proper parking areas.. Lots are free some charge a small fee. Lots not have electric and other facilities like toilets. If you intend to tour around these countries there are now quite a few guides to the Aires locations.  

Quote | Report

Surely the problem is that the provision of Aires is not a cost free option and local councils would find it hard to justify spending decreasing income on something that does not offer a direct return on investment. If there were to be even a modest charge the advantage of an aire over a campsite decreases. Now I assume that people would like aires to be directly in towns and villages so that every thing was within walking distance. Exisiting car parks would be the obvious place but locals might object if they lose parking places. I am sure I remember seeing a website that had details of how individual councils approached this subject but can't remember where. If I find it I will post a link.

David