Vauxhall Insignia - Good or Bad?

26 posts
Quote | Report

Hi guys just found out that ny new company car which I use to tow my caravan is to be a Vauxhall Insignia Hatchback with the ecoflex 130bhp engine.

Anyone out there got any first hand of experience of this model and its towing ability?

Any info gladly received

Ta Riggers

Quote | Report

Hi Kelly - many thanks that would be great. Not seen any Insignias towing yet which is surprising. My current 150bhp Vectra has been a dream to to with just worried that the longer gearing on the ecoflex model will cause me problems with my 2003 Bailey Pageant Monarch.

And Kelly your input shows what a great idea Club together is and that it is working! Thank you CC and all staff. Keep up the good work.

If you can get to test one it would be fantastic as this model is quite a popular company motor due to the low emissions and subsequent low tax benefit charges.

Quote | Report

I took delivery of my new Insignia ecoflex SE 160PS on the first of February and am currently enjoying our first trip of the year at Oxon Hall. I was unsure that I had made the right decission with the ecoflex, but after my first tow, I have no doubt I made the right choice. I thought the high gearing may be a problem but once on the M54 it was a breeze in fith gear 60 MPH and cruise control on, the Insinia pulled our Swift Challenger 560 with ease. My previous car was a Vectra SRI 150PS and I think the Insignia is as good if not better than the Vectra. 

Quote | Report

I took delivery of my new Insignia ecoflex SE 160PS on the first of February and am currently enjoying our first trip of the year at Oxon Hall. I was unsure that I had made the right decission with the ecoflex, but after my first tow, I have no doubt I made the right choice. I thought the high gearing may be a problem but once on the M54 it was a breeze in fith gear 60 MPH and cruise control on, the Insinia pulled our Swift Challenger 560 with ease. My previous car was a Vectra SRI 150PS and I think the Insignia is as good if not better than the Vectra. 

Thanks Modgeuk for the info.

I will be getting the 130bhp so hopefully it will be ok espicially with what I suspect is a my lighter van with a MPTLM of 1208kg.

The high gearing was my concern but the local Vauxhall dealer commented that what little feed back they had received was that the 130bhp was better than the 160bhp to tow with!

Will have to wait and see once I get the car. Will let you know my thoughts once we have been on our first trip.

Cheers Riggers

Quote | Report

HI

We pull our bailey GT60 with the Insignia SE 160bhp and it pulls like a dream, a very stable outfit.

Hi swanseapam - many thanks for the info glad to hear your happy with the match and its performance.. Cant wait to get the new motor and get it hitched up! Riggers

Quote | Report

Hi all,

I tow a Coachman Amara 450/2 with a 2.0 cdti 160 bhp manual Insignia sport tourer and I get as good a performance as my previous 3.0 cdti 184 bhp Vectra estate with far better fuel economy. We went over the penines and didnt go below 5th gear even up the steep side from rochdale. On most motorways with only steady inclines it keeps a steady 60mph in 6th gear in cruise control, with a very stable drive. I am at a nose weight of approx 75kg and find that ok with 245/45/18 tyres. 

Quote | Report
I work for a vauxhall dealer in shrewsbury and drive a insignia 160 ecoflex Sri Vxr line. I have recently purchased a lunor lexon se 4 berth I took the van out for the first time over the weekend. I must say it towed very well.and appeared to return good fuel economy.my first long trip out will be over the bank holiday.will then be able to give more feed back. Rob From Madeley Telford