What Tow Car

25 posts
Quote | Report

We are going to order our next Motability car on Saturday and have decided on a BMW X1 Xline Xdrive 4X4.

It has a 184bhp Turbo diesel 2.0 ltr engine, electronic 4 wheel drive, full leather and includes matching mats. Curb weight is 1650kg, with a BMW braked max trailer weight of 2000kg. Advance payment is £1995. Solo mpg is 51 and from what I have read when towing a mpg of 35 should be possible. We had a test drive last weekend and changed our mind as the Vauxhall Antara had been top of our list up until then, but the X1 was a far better built car and the X1's drive and comfort were fantastic. Also I think the match would be around the so called advisory 85% ishSmile

Quote | Report

We are going to order our next Motability car on Saturday and have decided on a BMW X1 Xline Xdrive 4X4.

It has a 184bhp Turbo diesel 2.0 ltr engine, electronic 4 wheel drive, full leather and includes matching mats. Curb weight is 1650kg, with a BMW braked max trailer weight of 2000kg. Advance payment is £1995. Solo mpg is 51 and from what I have read when towing a mpg of 35 should be possible. We had a test drive last weekend and changed our mind as the Vauxhall Antara had been top of our list up until then, but the X1 was a far better built car and the X1's drive and comfort were fantastic. Also I think the match would be around the so called advisory 85% ishSmile

Out of interest, what are the slip road to outside lane figures on that model ? ............... just kidding Laughing 

Quote | Report

As a motor mechanic I would advise you to buy the BMW as although they  are more expensive the BMW a should be a far better car 

Most reliability surveys don't bear this out.The 3 series ia known to need a complete suspension rebuild at 40000 miles at some cost. Don't forget it is advertised as the Ultimate Driving  Machine, not the Ultimate Towing MachineHappy

Quote | Report

As a motor mechanic I would advise you to buy the BMW as although they  are more expensive the BMW a should be a far better car 

Write your comments here...

Nowhere near the best towcars around and expensive to boot ! Take a look on Youtube at how X-Drive compares to other 4 wheel drive systems ,not good and not alone, Hondas and  the Koreans Audi/Vw and others dont fare well on grassy slopes and the like just the type of surfaces we vanners are likely to encounter. There are better towcars by a mile out there . If you dont tow a lot then they might be worth it. If you are a regular tower look around.

Tj

Quote | Report

Hello all,  i recently sold a 3 series touring with approximately 75000 miles on and no problems at all with steering/suspension and would not knock them at all.  I recently bought a new X3  after test driving most of the competitors and i am very pleased with it.  If i was buying again tomorrow i would buy exactly same again.

Quote | Report

Please also remember, the original question asked about which was a good tow car on the Motability Scheme ? 

So servicing costs are included in the monthly payment by ways of their DLA payment. Since the scheme was given a full revision earlier this year there aren't any full sized SUV's to choose from now!

4x4 choices are also limited to  the following 

CRV petrol only

Grand Vitara petrol only

Quasqui petrol only

BMW X1 diesel only

Antara diesel only

Tiguan auto diesel only , less powerful !

IX35 diesel

Sportage diesel

Jeep Compass petrol only

Captiva diesel only but a £1000 more than the X1 !

Quote | Report

Hi, i reckon out of the list posted above it's a no brainer, VW Tiguan rates well  but the 170ps is not available in auto mode and fuel consumption not as good as BMW also if i remember correctly in a higher Ved band. As in all cases it's one man' choice is another man's poison  and theres always plenty of folk to knock the BMW.

Quote | Report

Funnily enough we are in exactly the same position, off to order our new motability car this weekend and are looking at the Antara, Captiva and the BMW x1.  It's particularly important for us as the car we choose will really determine new caravan we are buying in the spring  -  we are looking for a 6 berth van for us and our 2 children, and your choices seem to be fairly limited for a liteweight van of that size.  I personally lean towards the Captiva, but hubby being hubby (no way suggesting this is a bloke thing) is totally  sold on the BMW.  Now, I don't doubt that the BMW is a great car, but I want something with a bit pf pulling power that gives us a fairly good range of options when we are looking at our new van, and there just doesn't seem to be many reviews or comments on the web from folk who currently tow with the BMW.  Is that because it is just not a very popular towcar, or is it something else?  Anyways, any comments or suggestions welcome, it's a big decision to get wrong and be stuck with the wrong car for the next three years ...Worried