Our 'Practical and Caravan Manoeuvring Courses' are designed to
help you enjoy your caravanning more confidently. Open to members
and non-members alike, the courses are run in an informal, relaxed
atmosphere. Participants are not required to take a test.
Our caravan fleet
On the course you will be manoeuvring one of our 38 strong fleet
of Bailey caravans - the caravans were specially ordered for our
practical caravanning courses. You can take a look at the build
process for these caravans by watching a time lapse film that was
produced by Bailey during the construction, just click on the link
Which course to choose
We offer two courses:
The 10 hour Practical Caravanning Course, held over one and a
half days, is ideal for newcomers. It covers instruction and
- Understanding loading and how it affects towing.
- Hitching up and towing, safely and efficiently.
- Practice in manoeuvring an outfit forwards and backwards,
easily and confidently.
- Simple technical information to encourage user checks.
- Everyday safety checks and the law affecting caravanners.
The one day 'Caravan Manoeuvring Course' is suitable for the
caravanner or other trailer tower who knows the basics but has
difficulty in manoeuvring, especially reversing their outfit, with
confidence. It is not suitable for beginners.
The course takes place in the private grounds of colleges and
commercial training schools. The courses are taught by professional
instructors, and caravans are provided.
You will need a car fitted with a towing bracket, functional
electric sockets, and two outside mirrors wide enough to see either
side of the caravan. You must possess a full Group B driving
licence (provisional not accepted) and the car must be insured to
tow a trailer caravan.
Courses are currently held at the following locations:
- Askham Bryan College, York, North Yorkshire
- Diamond Driver Training, Newark, Nottinghamshire
- Appletree Driving, Chipping Warden, Northamptonshire
- The Duchy College, Stoke Climsland, Cornwall
- Elddis, Consett, County Durham
- L-Busters Towing Training School, Henfield, West Sussex
- Myerscough College, Preston, Lancashire
- Norfolk Training Services Ltd, Norwich, Norfolk
- Oatridge College, Broxburn, West Lothian
- Road Safe Wales, Llanelli, Carmarthenshire
- South Worcestershire College, Evesham, Worcestershire
- Sparsholt College, Winchester, Hampshire
- Tilston School of Motoring, Wrexham, Clwyd
- Towing Solutions Ltd, Macclesfield, Cheshire
- Wiltshire Transport Training Ltd, Devizes, Wiltshire
- Writtle College, Chelmsford, Esse
Please note the courses held at Elddis include a factory
If you know of any companies who would be interested in becoming
a Caravan Course Training Centre, working in partnership with The
Caravan Club, please either call the Events Department on
01342 336 808 or email their details to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Course fees are £140.00 per person for the 'Practical
Caravanning Course' and £120.00 per person for the 'Caravan
If you have any special needs or requirements please
book over the phone on 01342 336 666.
If you would like the 2013 schedule sent by post, please
either call the Events Department on 01342 336
666 or email email@example.com.
Please include your membership number and address details.
The IAM recommends The Caravan Club