143a Main Street, Sutton Bonington, Loughborough, Nottinghamshire, LE12 5PEView on map
Why stay here ...
Littleover Farm CL is an easily accessible, totally flat site with electric hook-ups and a TV aerial point to each pitch. Four of the five pitches are hard standings and, should very poor conditions prevail, the wide and generous flat, concrete drive leading to the field provides alternative accommodation. The site boasts two showers and two toilets, one of the showers is in a room with a toilet and a hand basin. It is convenient for either a one-night stopover en- route to another destination or as a holiday base for visits to the Derbyshire Peak District, Sherwood Forest or the National Forest. A host of other attractions are also available locally, far too numerous to list here!
The site lies at the heart of the delightful Sutton Bonington village in the south-western corner of Nottinghamshire, three miles from junction 24 of the M1 at Kegworth and four miles north of the university town of Loughborough. Buses to both Loughborough and Nottingham stop regularly right outside the site and the centres of both Derby and Leicester are less than forty-five minutes away. For those who wish to venture further afield, the railway stations of East Midlands Parkway (three miles) and Loughborough (four miles) connect the area with all points south to London (St. Pancras is only ninety minutes from Loughborough and Paris four hours!) and north to Nottingham, Derby, Sheffield, Leeds and beyond.
The village has a general store and a newsagents, a post office and two pubs, all of which are within easy walking distance and the nearby villages of Kegworth, East Leake, Normanton and Hathern (less than five minutes by car) extend the range of hostelry choices still further.
Any number of walks can be had from the site, ranging from short, riverside strolls to the more adventurous long-distance Midshires Way. Many of the relatively quiet roads in the area are perfect for cyclists with the SusTrans Route 6 right on the doorstep. Also, some old local railway lines have been recycled (sic) into off-road tracks suitable for both walkers and cyclists.
Sutton Bonington was originally two villages dating from Anglo-Saxon times. In the Domesday Book of 1086 both 'Sudtone' and 'Bonitone' are mentioned and a Charter Roll of 1327 refers to 'the men and tenants of the towns of Boynton and Sutton'. By 1553, a John Stelles of 'Sutton Bonyngton' appears in the records. The two original villages were united for civil purposes in 1829 but the two churches which served each one are still here. St. Anne's Church (for Sutton) was built around 1170 and St. Michael's (for Bonington) appeared around fifty years later in 1220. Both are steeped in history and well worth a visit. At one time, the main occupation of the villagers would have been farming but in the eighteenth century, hosiery became an important domestic industry with as many as fifty stocking frame workshops by the 1850s.
The world-renowned Nottingham University (Sutton Bonington Campus) houses students of both agricultural and veterinary sciences. One of their monthly enterprises in term time is a Farmers' Market, an increasingly successful venture!
Please Note: No groundsheets - Free WiFi.
Electric amperage: 16
You need to be a Club member to view directions to this Certificated Location. Log in
- LE12 5PE
- Lat 52.824523 / Lon -1.254455
- OS field ref:
- OS map ref:
- Buses go to: Loughborough, Nottingham
- Daily public transport within 1 mile
- Nearest train station: East Midlands Parkway
- Train station within 5 miles
Log in to write a review