Hybrid vehicle / hook up

Pop top caravan replied on 01/09/2020 14:31

Posted on 01/09/2020 14:31

Hello all caravan and campers.

We are regular caravaners and enjoy the outdoors equal to all you other campers.

However times are changing and unfair site fees are becoming an issue.

Electrical hook up. You will pay the same rate as your fellow neighbour, but as stated in 

this months , September issue of the caravan and motorhome club magazine,

if you own a plug in Hybrid you can re-charge and get 15-30 miles per charge free, so 

as well as paying the same hook up fee you can get free fuel.

This is about equivalant to £7.50 per day, Diesel or Petrol.

Not just fuel , the modern caravan can have underfloor heating, electrical cooking etc.

We still pay for our fuel and cook with gas.

Electrical useage should now be brought up to date so you pay for what you use.

So remember next time you book your electric hook up holiday, do ask for your £7.50 per day reduction, unless you run a plug in hybrid.

your standard electricl 3 pin charge cable is available on e-Bay for one off payment £180.00/£200.00.

While on holiday this year our  caravan neighbour had a plug in Hybrid, payed the same as everyone else, not fare at all, Photos added.

Moved from Story Section

DavidKlyne replied on 02/09/2020 12:28

Posted on 02/09/2020 12:28

It does make you wonder where the Club will put these charging points. I suppose at the moment they could go in site car parks but over time, as demand increases, they will need a bank of them somewhere on site. Perhaps one of the points about the current Club charging regime is to work out how much demand there is for such facilities. Here in MK we have the highest number of charging points outside of London. The parking infrastructure does lends itself to conversion to charging points. I noticed in Tesco yesterday a whole new bank of charging points but all completely devoid of cars! I have been looking at Hybrid/Plug in Hybrid/Electric cars recently but have concluded the the price is just too high so will think on!

David

replied on 02/09/2020 12:38

Posted on 02/09/2020 12:38

It does make you wonder where the Club will put these charging points.

It may be , at least for a while, that they may not provide on some sites. I go off site for my fuel in any case. They can do so also

SteveL replied on 02/09/2020 13:11

Posted on 02/09/2020 13:11

I suppose eventually MH's will also be electric. They won't fit into a standard size charging bay, so the obvious place to charge those would be on the pitch. Clearly with the problems of black outs, due to demand, on some sites in the winter months, they would not cope and extensive upgrades of the site supply will be required, if everyone wants there EV plugged in pulling 13 amps.

Oscarmax replied on 02/09/2020 15:08

Posted on 02/09/2020 15:08

We have an Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV we recently charged up at Black Knowl we were there for 14 days, being new to all this we anticipated and paid £20.00 upfront for 10 charges, we only actual used 7, but that's ok its a learning experience.

To charge the PHEV initially requires 10 amp it then settles down to 6 amps. We set the caravan control panel limit to 16 amps (that how we know how much electric we draw). We usually set the PHEV charge timer to start just after midnight, all our journeys on site are local 10/15 miles which requires about 5 kWh, well within the CMC £2.00.

We have 2 solar panels and have not use the caravans charger for about 2 years. We only caravan between April and late September so don't require a heater in our awning.

obbernockle replied on 02/09/2020 17:10

Posted on 02/09/2020 17:10

Hibrids can and are be charged on standard pitches using the basic electricity supply. The provision of metered EV charging points will initially be for cars (most likely towed cars) and these can be parked in a dedicated place ie the car park where a siutable supply can be installed. Later if EV motor caravans become available a limited number of EV pitches can be provided, probably located close to the car park.

JVB66 replied on 02/09/2020 17:26

Posted on 02/09/2020 17:10 by obbernockle

Hibrids can and are be charged on standard pitches using the basic electricity supply. The provision of metered EV charging points will initially be for cars (most likely towed cars) and these can be parked in a dedicated place ie the car park where a siutable supply can be installed. Later if EV motor caravans become available a limited number of EV pitches can be provided, probably located close to the car park.

Posted on 02/09/2020 17:26

The basic electric supply for a Hibrid must be charged via the LV not direct from the EHU bollard 

£2.00 at present per charge , on top of the pitch fee

I understand an EV would need to much power to enable a pitch supply to be used

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook