Food Hygiene Certificate

bill replied on 13/02/2021 14:37

Posted on 13/02/2021 14:37

On a rally I am helping with we intend to provide some food.  It won't be sold but is obviously included within the rally fee.  Does one of the organisers have to hold a Food Hygiene/Safety Certificate and if so which one ?  Many thanks.

papgeno replied on 13/02/2021 19:31

Posted on 13/02/2021 19:31

If I remember rightly food included in the price of the rally is deemed to be sold. Food given as prizes is certainly deemed to be sold.

Many moons ago I was involved in the development of the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health food hygiene certificates and I would think that if you really need one their Basic certificate would suffice. However I think they might have changed the name now. It's probably something fancy like "foundation "

eurortraveller replied on 14/02/2021 14:16

Posted on 14/02/2021 14:16

Bill, do any of your visitors have allergies ? That's something to bear in mind so that you can notify them in advance of food contents you intend to serve which might harm them - such as nuts, eggs and so on , and probably of greater concern than having a food hygiene certificate.

bill replied on 16/02/2021 08:19

Posted on 14/02/2021 14:46 by commeyras

Bill rather than ask us well intentioned amateurs why not just speak to your local authority.

Posted on 16/02/2021 08:19

My local authority hasn't been much help and are useful if you are setting up a proper food providing business.

I thought that the CAMC might have a view on this specific to rallies.  I am quite happy to take one of the on line courses but I just want to know which one is approved/supported by the CAMC.

brue replied on 16/02/2021 09:04

Posted on 16/02/2021 09:04

Apart from normal good hygiene,  under food standard refs one off events etc don't normally come under the guidance. You can check this out via the gov.uk Food Standards site.

Best to read it for yourself if needed.

AlanPort replied on 16/02/2021 13:27

Posted on 16/02/2021 08:19 by bill

My local authority hasn't been much help and are useful if you are setting up a proper food providing business.

I thought that the CAMC might have a view on this specific to rallies.  I am quite happy to take one of the on line courses but I just want to know which one is approved/supported by the CAMC.

Posted on 16/02/2021 13:27

If your Centre don’t have the answer to your question, I suggest you could get them to ask this question to your Regional Council.  If they don’t have the answer, they could forward to the CAMC thereby getting guidance which could be circulated to all Centres for future reference.  I’m sure your Regional Council would welcome such an enquiry and that an answer could be obtained before rallying resumes.

brue replied on 16/02/2021 13:47

Posted on 16/02/2021 13:47

See page 12 of this LINK where the event is a "one off" eg  a fete or a street party and not having continuity eg providing a meal every day of the week etc.

These pages don't seem to have been updated since we left the EU so no doubt this will be rectified.

You've said you are helping and others are organising the event. I presume they know what is required? Other centres could probably provide the information you need.

DSB replied on 10/03/2021 19:48

Posted on 10/03/2021 19:48

Just to update you about the food certificate question.  I asked the question at tonights meeting and no-one could recall with certainty.  I will continue to pursue this elsewhere.  

The nearest I got to an answer was to check in the 'Notes for Centre Guidance' which your local secretary should have access to.

I will continue to seek clarification.

David

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook