Has Covid-19 Put a Nail in the Coffin of Centres?

AlanPort replied on 12/06/2020 13:36

Posted on 12/06/2020 13:36

I’ve been a Centre member for over 30 years and have always enjoyed the social aspects and comradeship of rallying as have many other members.  However, over the years, the simple pleasures of joining with friends on a farm field, parkland or even school playing field seems to have waned.  The Caravan Club began as a rallying group and sites were gradually purchased to accommodate those who wished to travel solo or with one or two other outfits and gradually communal blocks were added.

It’s good to see that club sites are due to open during July as announced on the website and in the email to all members received this morning.  However, there is no mention on either regarding Centre rallies.  These were cancelled by directive from East Grinstead a couple of weeks before Club sites were closed and it seems the Club is slow in coming forward to allow Centres to start running rallies again.  As rallies do not generally use locations where communal facilities are provided and rallies use their own onboard facilities, I’m not sure why rallies can’t be trusted to socially distanced in an open field.

What are the views of other Centre members on this?

brue replied on 03/07/2020 12:30

Posted on 03/07/2020 12:30

Much like there are groups who meet on club sites JVB?!

I think comments about how people rally are irrelevant and the main object is to find a way back in these changed circumstances.

KevBailey replied on 08/07/2020 16:23

Posted on 12/06/2020 13:36 by AlanPort

I’ve been a Centre member for over 30 years and have always enjoyed the social aspects and comradeship of rallying as have many other members.  However, over the years, the simple pleasures of joining with friends on a farm field, parkland or even school playing field seems to have waned.  The Caravan Club began as a rallying group and sites were gradually purchased to accommodate those who wished to travel solo or with one or two other outfits and gradually communal blocks were added.

It’s good to see that club sites are due to open during July as announced on the website and in the email to all members received this morning.  However, there is no mention on either regarding Centre rallies.  These were cancelled by directive from East Grinstead a couple of weeks before Club sites were closed and it seems the Club is slow in coming forward to allow Centres to start running rallies again.  As rallies do not generally use locations where communal facilities are provided and rallies use their own onboard facilities, I’m not sure why rallies can’t be trusted to socially distanced in an open field.

What are the views of other Centre members on this?

Posted on 08/07/2020 16:23

Has Covid-19 Put a Nail in the Coffin of Centres?

Simple answer is I hope not.

There is a lot of discussion around social distancing but a Centre rally is an organized social gathering and the UK government rules are no more than 30 are allowed to attend social gatherings.

Until this rule changes I think rallying will remain suspended unless you reduce numbers of vans and people, which would be interesting to see how this would be managed to make it impartial

I'm convinced there is nobody in HQ that thinks Centre committees / Marshals are unable to organize their events in a controlled way.

I am concerned with the future of winter rallying. Even before COVID, schools were increasing costs and the distancing regulations reduced numbers attending which is never a good combination.

I read with interest the document that was sent out regarding making rallying COVID secure. The first point was prior to the rally consider the reaction of the local community in your rally risk assessment.

How do you assess the use of schools which are the main venues for winter rallies. Can you imagine the local response if a member of staff / student contracted COVID after a Centre had used the facility......but who is best to  make this assessment?

KEEP CALM - We will all get back to rallying in the future in whatever form it takes .........… but at least there are options with sites and CLs

Stay safe everyone and keep washing your hands as the virus hasn't gone away which probably should be more of a concern.

AlanPort replied on 11/07/2020 15:46

Posted on 11/07/2020 15:46

Hi Kevin

First of all, I’m pleased you share my anticipation for rallies in the future.

With regards the guidance for Centre rallies: 

‘‘I read with interest the document that was sent out regarding making rallying COVID secure. The first point was prior to the rally consider the reaction of the local community in your rally risk assessment.’

Surely the reaction of the local community is relevant however people arrive in caravans or motorhomes?  For the average non-caravanner, I have no doubt that the same concern could be expressed regarding tourers arriving at a CAMC site.  For that matter, any additional tourists from other parts of the country could equally be considered as a problem during the easing of current restrictions.  In all the above financial considerations are considered far more than the concerns of the local community.

I accept that in some areas of the country, schools are used for a lot of winter rallies and these would need to be risk assessed or likely even cancelled.  However, quite a few Centres rarely use school sites and in holiday areas often use commercial sites which are normally far less busy out of the main season.

I do think that the Executive, many of whom have been actively involved in rallying in their earlier days, must accept that one rule does not fit all and allow Centre Committees the opportunity to act responsibly when deciding the suitability of locations for arranging rallies in what will now be the new normal.

Interestingly, I read an article the other day which quoted a Downing Street advisor who said that the 30 person maximum group rule had bee bought into law in order to give the police powers to break up illegal events such as ‘raves’,  This presumably also applies to protest marches etc.  Hardly the same as the average rally which I normally attend,

Alan

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook