Live from the National 2018

RowenaBCAMC replied on 25/05/2018 09:02

Posted on 25/05/2018 09:02

Are you at the National this year? If so we want to hear from you. Whether you're pitching up in your caravan or motorhome or visiting for the day, tell us all about it on this discussion. If you have any photos to share we would love to see them too.

Don't forget to also tag us on social media @candmclub #ClubNational18 

But most importantly of all, have a wonderful time! cool

Firedragon replied on 29/05/2018 10:39

Posted on 29/05/2018 09:26 by kevlon

My wife and I have just returned home after attending our first "National". We have been mixing business with pleasure while selling our Sons Pies & Pastries at the F.Leakes Butchers and Bakers stand. I feel compelled to write to express how friendly our fellow club members are. We would like to thank each and everyone of you who called in to see us, we were made most welcome. We have certainly made many new friends over the course of the weekend.

The entertainment was first class and the many activities catered for every taste. I urge anyone thinking about attending next years event to book their place as soon as possible. You won't be sorry.

Warwickshire here we come!

Posted on 29/05/2018 10:39

Hi Kevlon, hope you are bringing sausage rolls with you - if you happen to be passing the Comms Office come in and say Hi laughing

Alison

BrianJosie replied on 29/05/2018 23:40

Posted on 29/05/2018 23:40

Gutted cos we missed this years National,we cancelled at the last minute cos we didn’t collect our Motorhome in time .Glad some of you enjoyed the weekend. You can’t please everyone all the time.We will definitely be at next years.

Brian & Jo

Boff replied on 30/05/2018 08:54

Posted on 30/05/2018 08:54

As much as it hurts me to say this, but I have heard loads of very positive feedback about this years national.  Particularly with respect to the amount activities laid on for children.  So maybe there is hope after all.  

DaveCyn replied on 30/05/2018 17:12

Posted on 30/05/2018 17:12

Overall we enjoyed it but whoever was responsible for the allocation of pitching areas needs to go away and have a serious think before planning another one.

It seems they need reminding that people with Blue Badges have severe mobility problems. Locating their pitches about 300 yards away across a valley with a rough track to access the main area shows contempt for their problems. Particularly as a large area right close to the arena was given over to Admin!

When I questioned this I was told it was OK as a car park had been set aside to allow us to drive across. So here they go against their request to keep driving on site to a minimum. Motor home owners apparently would have had to pack up each time they wanted to drive over. Talk about making us feel welcome, not!

Also having had all the upset among some members re the rebranding why were all the flags around the arena still the old CC pennants? Surely by now someone would have raided the piggy bank for some new ones.

Stewartwebr replied on 30/05/2018 19:44

Posted on 30/05/2018 19:44

I would be interested to ascertain the cost of hosting the national. How much money is created through members pitch fees, vendor fees, entertainment tickets and how much profit is used up on the free camping for Executive Committee Members, Chairmans Drinks reception before the opening ceremony and the cost of the provision of the grand stand for the Chairman to sit on. Is it me, or are things like this so outdated, felt like being back in the 70’s to me.

People dressed up with gold chains around their necks prancing around a field just felt a little too colonial for me, but guess we are all different.

RowenaBCAMC replied on 31/05/2018 14:14

Posted on 30/05/2018 19:44 by Stewartwebr

I would be interested to ascertain the cost of hosting the national. How much money is created through members pitch fees, vendor fees, entertainment tickets and how much profit is used up on the free camping for Executive Committee Members, Chairmans Drinks reception before the opening ceremony and the cost of the provision of the grand stand for the Chairman to sit on. Is it me, or are things like this so outdated, felt like being back in the 70’s to me.

People dressed up with gold chains around their necks prancing around a field just felt a little too colonial for me, but guess we are all different.

Posted on 31/05/2018 14:14

Hi Stewartwebr, Please be assured that the Executive Committee, as do all other volunteers at the National, pay for their own pitches. We are very grateful for all the hard work and effort that the executive/events committees and our host of volunteers put into making the National the successful event it has become, whilst also acknowledging that without their continued support members would not enjoy the level of entertainment and organisation that goes into the planning and running of the event. The opening ceremony and reception are well-received traditions at the National, and gives the Executive Committee an opportunity to publicly recognise our sponsors and to thank all the volunteers for their participation, as without their support we would not be able to host the National at the level it achieves. Please also note that the grandstand is open to all visitors of the National following the opening ceremony and is an area people can use to enjoy watching the arena shows. I hope this clears up any confusion.

RowenaBCAMC replied on 31/05/2018 14:16

Posted on 31/05/2018 14:16

Thanks everyone for your wonderful pictures and sharing your experiences at the National. All feedback will be forwarded to our events team.

I just want to take this opportunity to thank the events team, all the volunteers, the events committee and the executive committee and everyone who attended the National for making it such a brilliant event. We have had some fantastic feedback about all the activities and I have really enjoyed seeing all the photos here and on our social media pages. We are looking forward to seeing you all again next year at Ragley Hall and please feel free to continue to share your photos of the National here. cool

Navigateur replied on 31/05/2018 14:41

Posted on 31/05/2018 14:41

A bit more feedback for the events team.

Why ask for the length of caravans and then pitch the long ones on steeply sloping ground?  I had to use all the blocks I carry to get the caravan nearly level - to complete the job would have required digging a hole for the rear end.  As it was the tow hitch still ended up almost at chest height and the rear washroom drain outlets were at ground level.

Shorter caravans fared better, of course, yet there was plenty of empty pitching space that was almost flat at the top of the hill.

I wonder if the site layout was done by someone making pretty drawings at a desk without considering what the estate actually looked like.

Firedragon replied on 31/05/2018 20:47

Posted on 31/05/2018 14:41 by Navigateur

A bit more feedback for the events team.

Why ask for the length of caravans and then pitch the long ones on steeply sloping ground?  I had to use all the blocks I carry to get the caravan nearly level - to complete the job would have required digging a hole for the rear end.  As it was the tow hitch still ended up almost at chest height and the rear washroom drain outlets were at ground level.

Shorter caravans fared better, of course, yet there was plenty of empty pitching space that was almost flat at the top of the hill.

I wonder if the site layout was done by someone making pretty drawings at a desk without considering what the estate actually looked like.

Posted on 31/05/2018 20:47

I think just about everyone except the Chairman's line(s?) and the disabled block were on a fairly steep slope, we have a fairly large van and even on the second row of admin block we had our rear end on the grass. The aim is for a flat as possible arena and village area for all the marquees, after that it is pot luck and with just over 1400 units, it would be impossible to take note of every vans length and position them accordingly, especially with people requesting which block they want to be in. There are limited venues willing to take such a large number of outfits for a fairly long time to set everything up - and over a bank holiday, it is so nice to see a new venue for next year, roll on Ragley Hall laughing

Alison

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook