Sandringham From The North Via The Dreaded A17

pen9er replied on 12/05/2017 09:56

Posted on 12/05/2017 09:56

As a regular user of this absolutely disgusting example of a a main TRUNK road from the North into Lincolnshire and Norfolk I have started a FB lobby page at:-

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1309738285715842/

With a caravan in tow a 160 mile journey using this road with take in access of 4 hours and that assumes the farming fraternity are not moving tractors and equipment along the route; or as happens regularly some frustrated driver takes a stupid chance and causes an RTA which closes the single carriageway on a regular basis.

By the way there is the level crossing gate at East Heckington which has been known to fail and of course closes when a train passes over the route.

This road is in need of updating and investment - I was staggered to learn that it is still the responsibility of Local Authorities rather than The Highways Agency as indeed the alternative route on the A47 is.  [Add 45 minutes if you use the A47 as an alternative - extra mileage and fuel!!]

Please help the campaign to get the A17 moved into the current century and join the FB page.

If you are traveling to The National have a safe tow and a great week end.

Tinwheeler replied on 12/05/2017 16:02

Posted on 12/05/2017 16:02

The trouble is that it is just one problem road out of many in the UK. I can't support yours to the possible detriment of others I'm afraid, pen.

compass362 replied on 12/05/2017 19:01

Posted on 12/05/2017 09:56 by pen9er

As a regular user of this absolutely disgusting example of a a main TRUNK road from the North into Lincolnshire and Norfolk I have started a FB lobby page at:-

With a caravan in tow a 160 mile journey using this road with take in access of 4 hours and that assumes the farming fraternity are not moving tractors and equipment along the route; or as happens regularly some frustrated driver takes a stupid chance and causes an RTA which closes the single carriageway on a regular basis.

By the way there is the level crossing gate at East Heckington which has been known to fail and of course closes when a train passes over the route.

This road is in need of updating and investment - I was staggered to learn that it is still the responsibility of Local Authorities rather than The Highways Agency as indeed the alternative route on the A47 is.  [Add 45 minutes if you use the A47 as an alternative - extra mileage and fuel!!]

Please help the campaign to get the A17 moved into the current century and join the FB page.

Posted on 12/05/2017 19:01

We travel to the North Norfolk coast several times every year from the east Midlands and always use the A52/A46 Derby/Nottingham to Newark then on to the A17 & finally A47 to Kings Lynn then on to A149

In fact we are going this Sunday for a week , I can honestly say I've never had a problem , in fact we go via Newark which is longer for us instead of going through Grantham on the A52 .

The A17 is my favoured route , I wouldn't use any other to Sandringham and the North Norfolk coast .

Plenty of laybys along the route & there's even a couple of cafe stops if you are running early .😁

Takethedogalong replied on 13/05/2017 09:56

Posted on 13/05/2017 09:56

It's not a fast road, but it is an interesting road! Admittedly you wouldn't want to use it for a daily commute, but it's got far less problems and bottlenecks than a good few others. We love North Norfolk, have to use this route, but just chill out, take what comes and make best use of the large number of stopping/rest areas. It's possibly one of the most farming intensive areas in the country as well, so you don't complain about farmers etc... just getting on with their work, but pick up some of the wonderful produce enroute!

Never use Facebook I'm afraid.smile

Oneputt replied on 13/05/2017 20:29

Posted on 13/05/2017 20:29

Obviously living in the Far East of Norfolk I use the road on a fairly regular basis and to be frank I don't recognise the road your referring to.  Sure it's an agricultural area so farm implements are a regular occurance.  Friday afternoons are very busy and can add considerably to the journey time.  I can only recall 1 occasion when the level crossing was a problem.  Only one occasion when Sutton Bridge was a problem.  If I'm travelling North I pay attention to the road reports, any problems and I head through Boston.

I concede it is a pain driving west for a couple of hours before we can turn North.

alanannej replied on 21/05/2017 17:20

Posted on 21/05/2017 17:20

Only ever once had a problem on the A17 - sugar beet fell off a lorry coming in the opposite direction - bounced over the car & smashed the caravan front window. To compound matters, after getting to our chosen CL, drove to a caravan dealer to see if I could get a new window - dealer was closed  & on the way back to the CL, a stone shot up from a passing car & smashed the car windscreen!

compass362 replied on 22/05/2017 18:07

Posted on 12/05/2017 09:56 by pen9er

Posted on 22/05/2017 18:07

Post update

Just back from Sandringham , used the A17 as usual  no dramas steady  run from east midlands 115 miles in total 2 1/2 hours including a 15 minutes stop as we would arrived before 12.00........happy days 😜

return journey pretty much the same.........😇

JVB66 replied on 22/05/2017 18:12

Posted on 22/05/2017 18:12

We will find out next week as we are doing Sandringham cc site to Clumber Park cc site,surprised

Some friends of ours do the A17 to and from Sandringham to Notts on a regular basis and say it is no different to any route into and out of Norfolksurprised

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook