My husband died.Scared of touring alone.

bozzer replied on 08/04/2018 10:03

Posted on 08/04/2018 10:03

My husband died very suddenly last year. we were relatively new to touring in our little "tin can" as he called it, we had only been touring about 4 years, and the furthest we went from home was Edinburgh.

The dream was to tour the whole of the united kingdom... my dream anyway! John was happy just skipping to the east coast / Filey, for a few days. We absolutely loved  our little van and it  became our sanctuary.

I know he would want me to carry on touring , but I'm afraid of heading out on the open road alone.. I did most of the towing so that isn't an issue, and I I'm quite practical, its just a daunting though going alone.

I know that on club sites there will always be someone around to lend a hand if I get in to trouble, its just the getting there that scares me. Are there any other ladies out there that tow alone? 

Can I , should I, do it?

CliveT20 replied on 14/03/2019 12:04

Posted on 14/03/2019 12:04

Hi join The New Companions, great bunch of people who camp alone.

I am based in Staffordshire also. Regards

bel1 replied on 15/03/2019 17:59

Posted on 15/03/2019 17:59

I am retired caravaner whose wife still likes university work and as a consequence I have a number of my caravan holiday as a solo.

I frequently travel from our home in Edinburgh to southern Italy and other not so distant parts of Europe.

My advice would be plan well, ensure that you have good insurance to cover all eventualities, and initially pre book some sites.

Last year while in Italy many of the fellow campers introduced themselves to me and said I here your the solo caravaner from Scotland. Travelling solo can be the trigger for starting off conversations; this is nearly always the case when eating out and you ask for a table for one.

Start with small ventures which will build your confidence  and you will never look back.

Dr Ellis

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook