Traveling alone

ScreenNameFF24C8A704 replied on 03/07/2020 22:58

Posted on 03/07/2020 22:58

Hi 

just got my van today so trying to get into the swing .

i will be camping alone and would like to know if there is similar people out there 

in my 50s straight and not looking for singles club , just walking chat and reason to get the van out 

brue replied on 04/07/2020 11:17

Posted on 04/07/2020 11:17

If you look through the Solos section you'll find the names of groups you could contact. Here's one of them, called "New Companions" see this LINK.

Good luck with your travels and don't forget most people on sites are always willing to chat and help you if needed! 

ABM replied on 04/07/2020 17:40

Posted on 04/07/2020 17:40

Loads of 'Singletons' out there ( ?? out here ?? )  SNFF, and as brue says we all do our own thing i.e. will chat / not chat as the mood takes us  --  just don't disturb me if I'm smiling & snoring at the same time smile

replied on 04/07/2020 19:29

Posted on 03/07/2020 22:58 by ScreenNameFF24C8A704

Hi 

just got my van today so trying to get into the swing .

i will be camping alone and would like to know if there is similar people out there 

in my 50s straight and not looking for singles club , just walking chat and reason to get the van out 

Posted on 04/07/2020 19:29

Don't knock singles groups. I nursed my wife for 9 months whilst working from home before her death. She was a day short of her 43rd birthday. I was 42. I would have happily smashed our bungalow up and set fire to it but I had a daughter at home coming on 15. I pulled myself together and coped well and was very busy at work and with my daughter and doing work at my eldest daughter's home. Then at 44 my youngest went off to college to finish her CSEs and start an art course, work became quiet and I fell into a deep depression and hit the bottle for 9 months whilst still managing my work.Long story short, psychiatrist was useless and thought that drugs were the answer then, by a chance re-connection I got in with a grief councillor. After a number of upsetting sessions I came out the other side. Then I realised that for my life to have meaning I had to give to others emotionally. I joined a small singles group. Didn't want an impersonal group, just a local small group. 9 months later and I took it over as the chap that started it was involved too much with his business and ageing parents. I had helped out organising events from day one and he wanted to offload the responsibility.

Generally for over 15 years there were around 36 members, generally over 50 years old. Some moved and some joined. Generally none of us were looking for a partner, just like minded people and good friends. Many members were hurt by life and it was a delight to see them blossom again. There would be a couple of foreign holidays a year for whoever wanted, tenpin bowling, theatre, cinema, days out, canal day boat hires, weekends away, walks, dinners, parties and much more. There were two marriages over the years and I met my present partner there after being friends for several years. 

Not all groups are about seeking romance, wink For us it was a social.friendship group.

replied on 04/07/2020 19:41

Posted on 04/07/2020 19:41

By the way ..... it was free. 

ScreenNameFF24C8A704 replied on 05/07/2020 22:40

Posted on 05/07/2020 22:40

Thanks for your replies all appreciated 🙏

I have been driving just to get into the swing of it , quite different and if I’m honest thought I can’t do this but I can !!

🌻🌻🌻🌻

Biggarmac replied on 08/07/2020 18:57

Posted on 08/07/2020 18:57

Another vote for the New Companions Camping Club.  They mainly use club sites for their meets which are listed in a newsletter sent to members 8 times a year.  In normal times there are meets throughout the UK.

There are also facebook groups like the Single Campers, caravanners and Motorhomers.  Although they have a huge membership their meets are not as easy to find.

replied on 08/07/2020 22:41

Posted on 05/07/2020 12:26 by ABM

Thank you, Mr Humphreys   wink

Posted on 08/07/2020 22:41

laughing

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook