Club online capability

Phishing replied on 08/07/2020 22:14

Posted on 08/07/2020 22:14

Accessing the homepage currently takes more than 20 seconds (as it did last night), this is common if not the norm (assuming you just don't get the maintenance screen). Using the forum is virtually impossible, the delays are dreadful. The homepage is confused, cluttered and by any online standards very poor. The search and booking functions are a whole other topic but look like a 1960s holiday brochure begrudgingly squeezed onto a website.

Please undertake a professional review of the server functions and user requirements and get someone in the organisation who knows what they are doing.

The top 10% of commercial sites have a server response time of less than 300ms, the average commercial performance is a server response of less than 1 second. Anything more than 1.5 seconds is considered very poor. This site takes up to 20 seconds, that is 200 times slower than a good commercial site. 

Please employ someone who understands digital marketing and get them to make you understand that if you do not get this aspect of the club right then you will severely damage the future prospects of the club. If you do not get the digital presence right then the club will be superseded by sites that do actually understand digital marketing and revenue generation.

The club is a £100 million pound business, serving hundreds of thousands. It currently has the online performance that is just not acceptable.

EmilysDad replied on 09/07/2020 22:26

Posted on 09/07/2020 22:20 by davetommo

Has optic fibre reached Bury yet

Posted on 09/07/2020 22:26

certainly not reached my estate ..... 😋  Though we had fibre optic phone exchanges years ago 

replied on 10/07/2020 07:41

Posted on 09/07/2020 21:29 by davetommo

Is there anything wrong with that 

Posted on 10/07/2020 07:41

Not for me personally

replied on 10/07/2020 07:56

Posted on 10/07/2020 07:56

What I do find irritating of late is the delay in showing new posts

This post took 4 mins to appear from time of posting!!

Cornersteady replied on 10/07/2020 10:57

Posted on 09/07/2020 22:11 by EmilysDad

I must have the same p poor interweb as Phishing as this site takes far longer to load up than any other website.

Posted on 10/07/2020 10:57

I think you may not have read my post carefully. I fully acknowledged the slowness of CT, but I was referring to the booking side, did you test that?

Anyway I tried the booking page it loads really fast on mine, tried it at minutes intervals no problem, must be a fault at your end?

I just did and again no problems and fast.

davetommo replied on 10/07/2020 15:12

Posted on 10/07/2020 10:57 by Cornersteady

I think you may not have read my post carefully. I fully acknowledged the slowness of CT, but I was referring to the booking side, did you test that?

Anyway I tried the booking page it loads really fast on mine, tried it at minutes intervals no problem, must be a fault at your end?

Posted on 10/07/2020 15:12

Maybe you use Virgin Media they use fibre all the way to the house. A lot of the others use the likes of sky, car phone warehouse or whatever they are called now and of course BT, they use the BT open reach network which still uses copper cable from the cabinet (the green box in the street)  to the house. So it is slower. If you have a new build house Bt open reach run fibre all the way into the house like Virgin media do so you will get faster internet with a new build.

SteveL replied on 10/07/2020 17:26

Posted on 10/07/2020 15:12 by davetommo

Maybe you use Virgin Media they use fibre all the way to the house. A lot of the others use the likes of sky, car phone warehouse or whatever they are called now and of course BT, they use the BT open reach network which still uses copper cable from the cabinet (the green box in the street)  to the house. So it is slower. If you have a new build house Bt open reach run fibre all the way into the house like Virgin media do so you will get faster internet with a new build.

Posted on 10/07/2020 17:26

Ours is not a new build and has overhead copper to the building. However, as the cabinet with the fibre link is only about 300 metres away we get 68MB download. I'm not sure a faster fibre to the house link would make much difference to the reaction speed of CT or most other websites. Faster speeds just tend to mean that more people in the house can use the internet before it starts to slow up.

JVB66 replied on 10/07/2020 17:40

Posted on 10/07/2020 10:57 by Cornersteady

Posted on 10/07/2020 17:40

Our Broadband at home is via BT (was Sky it is Now Broadband) and it is only CT that gives any problems with very slow  or the faults all other parts of the cc website are quite fast

davetommo replied on 11/07/2020 12:36

Posted on 10/07/2020 17:26 by SteveL

Ours is not a new build and has overhead copper to the building. However, as the cabinet with the fibre link is only about 300 metres away we get 68MB download. I'm not sure a faster fibre to the house link would make much difference to the reaction speed of CT or most other websites. Faster speeds just tend to mean that more people in the house can use the internet before it starts to slow up.

Posted on 11/07/2020 12:36

You are one of the lucky ones with the cab near the house. The less copper the faster the speed. If any website is busy it will slow the speed down. . The ones with the slower broadband speed will still get slower than the ones with the faster speed whatever website you are on. 

davetommo replied on 11/07/2020 12:37

Posted on 10/07/2020 17:40 by JVB66

Our Broadband at home is via BT (was Sky it is Now Broadband) and it is only CT that gives any problems with very slow  or the faults all other parts of the cc website are quite fast

Posted on 11/07/2020 12:37

Maybe more people are using CT than the other things on the website

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook