Commercial Benefits of Motorhome Towns - Campaign

JohnKeane replied on 14/08/2019 12:35

Posted on 14/08/2019 12:35

Throughout the continent towns and villages go out of their way to attract and provide facilities for Motorhome visitors, I'm sure they see the benefit of say 10 motorhomes staying overnight, typically 20 people, if only 50% eat out each night that is still 10 covers at £25 per head etc. soon mounts up over the year, not to mention use of local supermarkets, shops and museums etc.

In the UK we are seeing ever more restrictions imposed, height barriers, no over night parking etc. with only a few towns providing facilities. Negative publicity such as accused of littering the area, emptying waste tanks at the side of the road. I'm sure much of which is unjustfied and possibly down none motorhome visitors.

Having said that I agree with some residents concerns, if I lived on the coast at Lythm would I want to see a line of motorhomes blocking my view - almost certainly not.

My question is what is being done to counter this negative view and to encourage local authorities to provide parking and waste facilities.

Not the sort of campaign an individual can run but I would expect the Caravan & Motorhome club to take the lead on this - does it have a publicity officer working on this ?

What are other peoples views ?

cyberyacht replied on 14/08/2019 18:23

Posted on 14/08/2019 18:23

I find that the number of height barriers in towns is somewhat perverse. Would local councils prefer to have their side roads occupied by large vehicles instead of tucked safely in a car park? A couple of times on my recent trip I was unable to find suitable parking with a consequent loss of trade for their, doubtless hard-pressed, businesses. Why this proliferation of 'pariah status' for motorhomes?

eurortraveller replied on 14/08/2019 18:41

Posted on 14/08/2019 18:41

Come to Devon. Overnight Motorhome parking is allowed on car parks at Appledore, Bideford, Clovelly, Exmouth, Holsworthy, Ilfracombe, Torrington and Westward ho. And the park and ride beside Plymouth Argyle ground is open without height barriers for day time visits to the city - except on match days. 

JVB66 replied on 14/08/2019 18:46

Posted on 14/08/2019 18:41 by eurortraveller

Come to Devon. Overnight Motorhome parking is allowed on car parks at Appledore, Bideford, Clovelly, Exmouth, Holsworthy, Ilfracombe, Torrington and Westward ho. And the park and ride beside Plymouth Argyle ground is open without height barriers for day time visits to the city - except on match days. 

Posted on 14/08/2019 18:46

But then some areas need help to keep going so they try any way to get people to go out of the school peak holiday periodswinkcoolsurprised

JVB66 replied on 14/08/2019 22:13

Posted on 14/08/2019 18:23 by cyberyacht

I find that the number of height barriers in towns is somewhat perverse. Would local councils prefer to have their side roads occupied by large vehicles instead of tucked safely in a car park? A couple of times on my recent trip I was unable to find suitable parking with a consequent loss of trade for their, doubtless hard-pressed, businesses. Why this proliferation of 'pariah status' for motorhomes?

Posted on 14/08/2019 22:13

There is not a "pariah status" for motor caravans per say ,but  to dissuade another type of tourer who may not have the etiquette of most motor caravanerssurprised

Takethedogalong replied on 14/08/2019 22:15

Posted on 14/08/2019 22:15

We are in Devon at the moment. There are hundreds of MHs all over, all shapes and sizes happily getting on with having a good holiday.

My personal take on this is that there are a lot more owners of big MHs, previously happy to cross over the water each year and make whoopee on the Continent, who are now for whatever reason (Brexit, the falling £, Etc...) staying in UK and having a damn good whine because things are different over here, and frankly they are having difficulty coping. Rest assured, those of us who use a MH primarily over here do it with a great deal of ease. So incidentally do the dozens of German visitors in big MHs all over the area we are holidaying in. As they did in Northumberland last year, and Yorkshire the year before....

young thomas replied on 15/08/2019 09:59

Posted on 14/08/2019 16:22 by hitchglitch

A large town in southern France which we visit regularly has always had a small (and scruffy) Aire but this year they just completed a large car park. Shade is provided by solar panels. It’s just on the edge of the town and parking is FREE. So it’s not just visitors with motorhomes that are poorly catered for in this country, it’s all visitors.

Posted on 15/08/2019 09:59

if actually think many MH would be grateful for a convenient 'scruffy' parking facility.

the idea is that those vans wouldn't then be clogging up the arteries of the urban area...nor spooling anyone's view...

we used a large car park at the southern end of Tavira, behind the market...this holds hundreds of vehicles, has a rough rocky surface but is perfect for the town and the market and has a water/waste/CCEP.

of course, it's free like the majority of these facilities and the MH turnover is high, with folk spending a few days on the beach, using the market for supplies and visiting the nice town for meals/drinks etc.

im sure the town benefits greatly from the passing MH traffic.

this was one of many similar stops we used this spring.

we use THS sites in this country which provide a similar service, making use of off season facilities in town centres (just a few recent ones...New Milton school, exmouth RFC, wareham RFC, Lancing College etc)

all these are close to towns where the same benefits as above apply.

ok, the cost is a bit more at £8+ a day but many vanners will be visiting the local towns and getting the benefits of a town location in exchange for adding to the towns trade without having to hunt for an expensive car park nor clog up town side streets

for low cost town touring (no bookings required, come and go as you please, pay on leaving) the THS system takes some beating and is a relatively cheap way of replicating the town Aires system of the continent.

they run from end April till September and many retired folk move from one to another over the course of the summer giving inexpensive, safe, convenient town touring.

i don't see towns providing more MH Spaces but the THS system allows a similar way of getting in close (no planning req) without the hassle.

Cornersteady replied on 15/08/2019 10:38

Posted on 14/08/2019 22:15 by Takethedogalong

We are in Devon at the moment. There are hundreds of MHs all over, all shapes and sizes happily getting on with having a good holiday.

My personal take on this is that there are a lot more owners of big MHs, previously happy to cross over the water each year and make whoopee on the Continent, who are now for whatever reason (Brexit, the falling £, Etc...) staying in UK and having a damn good whine because things are different over here, and frankly they are having difficulty coping. Rest assured, those of us who use a MH primarily over here do it with a great deal of ease. So incidentally do the dozens of German visitors in big MHs all over the area we are holidaying in. As they did in Northumberland last year, and Yorkshire the year before....

Posted on 15/08/2019 10:38

very good post TDA, plenty of foreign vans near to us this last holiday having a good time on site, it appears popular with Germans.

PS I think I got away with itwink

Rocky 2 buckets replied on 15/08/2019 10:56

Posted on 14/08/2019 22:13 by JVB66

There is not a "pariah status" for motor caravans per say ,but  to dissuade another type of tourer who may not have the etiquette of most motor caravanerssurprised

Posted on 15/08/2019 10:56

🤣🤣🤣

Takethedogalong replied on 15/08/2019 11:06

Posted on 15/08/2019 11:06

Indian, Latin and French......he’s good, I’ll give him that!😁 Polite as well.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook