Is it a rip off?

dogsandhinnies replied on 08/04/2019 20:12

Posted on 08/04/2019 20:12

Hi I have a rant to get off my chest

Just booked a site for 21 nights for an eye watering £540!   After I got back on my feet I was informed that Caravan and Motor home club have increased their Easter fees this week two weeks early.  Why I ask. even the management were embarrassed and thought it were shocking. 

I spent 5 nights last week on a fabulous caravan and camping club site in heart of Northumberland with all the facilities and with over 60s discount £8 pn!

After only just re-joining I cannot  see the benefits of staying with  C&M club prices are beyond out reach.

peedee replied on 11/04/2019 07:10

Posted on 10/04/2019 10:37 by SteveL

I can understand the clubs pricing policy at sites like a Black Knowl £35.30 for two at peak, on a standard pitch. It is a very popular site and there are already dates unavailable on standard pitches during summer peak. However, continuing to try this policy at less popular sites seems strange. Last year we had to cancel most of our May / June bookings and ended up going short notice in July / August. Booking on the 11th July I was able to secure 9 consecutive nights for mid July at Bridlington. It was the only CAMC site within 100 miles of us where this was possible. Price then was £33.60 (this year £35.50) whilst we were there it was not even totally full at weekends and a maximum of two thirds mid week. Continuing to market it at this high price, which actually starts on the 28th June, seems rather flawed.

The above are just observations,  we will still go there we rather like the site. However, at £4.80 more a night than Scarborough, I can only assume the CC trying to cover the cost of the refurbishment / extension.

Posted on 11/04/2019 07:10

I made a similar point about empty pitches when I toured the West Country in peak season last year. I wasn't believed. The thread has unfortunately been removed or I would quote it but no doubt those who insisted I named sites will recall it. I suspect the demographic of the Club is biased towards seniors who can go away at any time and unless there is good reason to do so in peak season when prices are high, this period will not be their choice. The best thing the Club could do at such unused sites is offer a discount to seniors to make them more attractive. Mid week discounts, if available, are not enough if you want  to included a weekend in  your trip.

Ah Black Knowle! I have just been looking for a week there to no avail so I am off to Setthorns instead.

peedee

replied on 11/04/2019 07:59

Posted on 11/04/2019 07:59

I made a similar point about empty pitches when I toured the West Country in peak season last year. I wasn't believed. The thread has unfortunately been removed or I would quote it but no doubt those who insisted I named sites will recall it.

Really? Whoever disbelieved you PD? Not I. Although your posts held no substance for me as I had no idea which sites you were talking about - you did not say. I have no recollection of the time of year involved.

LeTouriste replied on 22/04/2019 18:34

Posted on 22/04/2019 18:34

Last year we cancelled 3 weeks at Sandringham C.C., and booked in at adult only site with serviced pitches, in Cornwall, instead.  Saved around £200 - which is some difference.  Amenity block not up to C.C. standards, but we never use these anyhow - van facilities better than any of the public-use options.

redface replied on 22/04/2019 21:28

Posted on 22/04/2019 21:28

Have just spent Easter weekend, 2 Adults, caravan, got grass pitch for

£15 per night at a small commercial site just off the South Downs.

By the way, as everywhere else in UK - what terrific weather.

Club sites too expensive, on the whole.

nelliethehooker replied on 22/04/2019 21:44

Posted on 22/04/2019 21:28 by redface

Have just spent Easter weekend, 2 Adults, caravan, got grass pitch for

£15 per night at a small commercial site just off the South Downs.

By the way, as everywhere else in UK - what terrific weather.

Club sites too expensive, on the whole.

Posted on 22/04/2019 21:44

Are you willing to share the site's name and whether you'd recommend it, redface?

KjellNN replied on 22/04/2019 22:39

Posted on 22/04/2019 22:39

We were at Banchory Silverbank   just before Easter, reasonably full at the weekend but less than half full mid week, despite MWD which made it more reasonable.

Weather was pretty good, so nothing to put off anybody.

Tammygirl replied on 22/04/2019 23:20

Posted on 22/04/2019 22:39 by KjellNN

We were at Banchory Silverbank   just before Easter, reasonably full at the weekend but less than half full mid week, despite MWD which made it more reasonable.

Posted on 22/04/2019 23:20

Was that before the hoards broke up for Easter Kj? 

We have used Banchory quite a lot at different times of the year and have never seen it full although it is usually busy. On the other hand Stonehaven much more expensive site is mostly full specially at weekends.

KjellNN replied on 22/04/2019 23:49

Posted on 22/04/2019 23:49

Probably, we went there on 25/03 for a week,

We used Stonehaven 2 years back, September I think, it was only busy at the weekend.  Too expensive for us now.

With the other club, we used Craigellachie on Speyside, we were the first arrivals for 2019!  Apparently not a busy site according to the warden, only 6 vans there when we were there.  Dingwall was very busy.

KjellNN replied on 23/04/2019 00:00

Posted on 23/04/2019 00:00

2 years back we used sites in Devon/Cornwall in September, we were very surprised at how empty they were.

replied on 23/04/2019 06:51

Posted on 22/04/2019 22:39 by KjellNN

Posted on 23/04/2019 06:51

Many don't caravan before April, often mid April and finish come October. We do the same except for about 15 nights in December. Obviously working folk with children tend to be using sites in the week only during school hols and those without still want to use there leave in better weather. I can't see Mid Week Discounts having much effect on that pattern.

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook