Mayday breakdown Premium service?

Surfer replied on 31/03/2019 11:37

Posted on 31/03/2019 11:37

We have had Mayday breakdown cover for probably about 20 years. Several years ago we upgraded to the Premium cover which included a chauffeur if the driver feel ill and was unable to drive. We thought we were still covered for the chauffeur service however have now found out it is only included in the Premium Plus package.

Has this always been the case or is it something recent in the last 2 - 3 years?

JVB66 replied on 02/04/2019 15:19

Posted on 02/04/2019 15:13 by DavidSmithCandMClub

Good afternoon all,

Just to clarify:

Provision of a chauffeur is part of the ‘Extra Care’ package, which includes three elements: a 24-hour telephone advice service (detailed on page 12 of the Policy Wording); the ‘Driver Care’ element (detailed on page 13 of the Policy Wording); and the UK Legal Expenses service ( also detailed on page 13 of the Policy Wording).

Extra Care is – and always has been – inclusive in the Premium UK cover level – and is also included in the Premium UK Plus cover level. If you have Premium UK, you will be entitled to all aspects of Extra Care – including chauffeur cover if required. There is no requirement to pay extra, and no need to upgrade to Premium UK Plus to benefit from chauffeur cover if required. Premium UK Plus simply includes enhanced entitlement limits via Enhanced Extra Care.

I take on board that the heading on page 13 of the Policy Wording could be clearer, and I will take this into consideration during the next review of the Policy Wording to help make it clearer and easier to understand .

In terms of the requirement of a medical certificate, we are aware that in some cases, this could be hard to come by (out of hours, emergency situations etc.). Green Flag will always judge each case on its individual merits. So, for example, if it is obviously impossible to obtain a medical certificate, this would not automatically equate to a refusal of service.

Dave

Posted on 02/04/2019 15:19

Is there any updates yet on the other Mayday thread about Mayday and C/vans in storage when tow vehicle is still a "failure/broken down"

replied on 02/04/2019 15:31

Posted on 02/04/2019 15:13 by DavidSmithCandMClub

Good afternoon all,

Just to clarify:

Provision of a chauffeur is part of the ‘Extra Care’ package, which includes three elements: a 24-hour telephone advice service (detailed on page 12 of the Policy Wording); the ‘Driver Care’ element (detailed on page 13 of the Policy Wording); and the UK Legal Expenses service ( also detailed on page 13 of the Policy Wording).

Extra Care is – and always has been – inclusive in the Premium UK cover level – and is also included in the Premium UK Plus cover level. If you have Premium UK, you will be entitled to all aspects of Extra Care – including chauffeur cover if required. There is no requirement to pay extra, and no need to upgrade to Premium UK Plus to benefit from chauffeur cover if required. Premium UK Plus simply includes enhanced entitlement limits via Enhanced Extra Care.

I take on board that the heading on page 13 of the Policy Wording could be clearer, and I will take this into consideration during the next review of the Policy Wording to help make it clearer and easier to understand .

In terms of the requirement of a medical certificate, we are aware that in some cases, this could be hard to come by (out of hours, emergency situations etc.). Green Flag will always judge each case on its individual merits. So, for example, if it is obviously impossible to obtain a medical certificate, this would not automatically equate to a refusal of service.

Dave

Posted on 02/04/2019 15:31

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

cyberyacht replied on 02/04/2019 17:07

Posted on 02/04/2019 17:07

Seems very onerous especially if it is your partner that is left with the caravan and vehicle and they have a B+E inherited through grandfather rights but have never towed in their life and do not feel competent to tow a large unit i.e. 4x4 and twin axle caravan.

That aspect of recovery provision could apply equally to a motorhome. My OH has B+E but has never driven the motorhome. Quite a bit of difference between that and her little runabout which she only drives on her local patch.

replied on 02/04/2019 17:22

Posted on 02/04/2019 17:07 by cyberyacht

Seems very onerous especially if it is your partner that is left with the caravan and vehicle and they have a B+E inherited through grandfather rights but have never towed in their life and do not feel competent to tow a large unit i.e. 4x4 and twin axle caravan.

That aspect of recovery provision could apply equally to a motorhome. My OH has B+E but has never driven the motorhome. Quite a bit of difference between that and her little runabout which she only drives on her local patch.

Posted on 02/04/2019 17:22

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

EmilysDad replied on 02/04/2019 18:08

Posted on 02/04/2019 17:07 by cyberyacht

Posted on 02/04/2019 18:08

This has been discussed on the forum before. A member of the CC staff did say that it was enough to say that if the other driver wouldn't drive rather than didn't have the licence to tow, then the chauffeur would.

As above, there's no way at all that my other half would consider towing .... I'd had my R Class for over 6 yrs before she even got behind the wheel  .... & even then it was on an unmade track in the depths of Scotland 

tenderfoot14 replied on 03/11/2020 11:05

Posted on 31/03/2019 11:37 by Surfer

We have had Mayday breakdown cover for probably about 20 years. Several years ago we upgraded to the Premium cover which included a chauffeur if the driver feel ill and was unable to drive. We thought we were still covered for the chauffeur service however have now found out it is only included in the Premium Plus package.

Has this always been the case or is it something recent in the last 2 - 3 years?

Posted on 03/11/2020 11:05

I had premium for years (I was only driver) and noticed change,  further looked into their recovery procedure and found they don't have own recovery vehicles and most recovery vehicles will not take dogs.  After that I have moved to one of the older two who have own fleet.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook