What's the point of the Handbook?

dolphinGB replied on 13/06/2019 11:31

Posted on 13/06/2019 11:31

Is anybody else disappointed with the changes to the Club Handbook this year? I have tried to find any other discussions in the members area but failed.

In the past the Club has provided thorough and useful information in the Handbook for the benefit of it's Members. This year it has moved to being more a promotional holiday advertisement for Club sites, and lacking much useful information that many members use. Ok so most members can go online to get some details, but now it seems we have to. Maybe the Handbook is on it's way out?

Specifically there is the ABSENCE OF MAP REFERENCE points. Like so many caravanning people we love to take an Ordinance Survey map everywhere we visit, and check it out when planning a trip, it's so full of information on an area. We like to see precisely where each cl. is to plan out cycling trips to avoid large roads etc.

Another issue is the PRICE DISPLAYED for Club sites. So disappointing that the Club is trying to fool members by putting prices for one adult in the book, and NOT showing the correct FULL PRICE BREAKDOWN! Do most members travel alone? Seems unlikely. The previous handbook displayed a price for unit plus 2 adults, much more representative surely?

In the past the Club has provided thorough and useful information in the Handbook for the benefit of it's Members, and I for one liked it.

Tinwheeler replied on 13/06/2019 11:42

Posted on 13/06/2019 11:42

You are not alone, Dolphin, and the specific points you raised have been discussed several times since the launch of the book. Finding those discussions could well be a tricky task. 

DavidKlyne replied on 13/06/2019 11:59

Posted on 13/06/2019 11:59

There was a discussion about lack of map references here referring to CL's. I think there were replies from Site Admin giving the reasons but also saying they were keeping an eye on the situation and may reconsider if enough people mention it. Likewise the subject of pricing has also been discussed. I lean towards the idea that prices should be left out of the main Site Directory because we only get the directory every two years so for half that period the prices are out of date anyway! The prices only represent the minimum cost of a site for one person and a pitch. Some say it would be more useful if it was for two people but then families might have a different view point? That's why they should perhaps be left out altogether?

The question of whether the Site Directory is on the way out, well who knows. We certainly use ours a lot less than we did as its easier to use online resources. I don't suppose it will be phased out any time soon but you could imagine a time when everything moves online.

David

harryb replied on 13/06/2019 13:10

Posted on 13/06/2019 13:10

I use my book all the time mainly because searching on the website is infuriating. As far as David K's comment about the book being out of date after a year there is a supplement you can order for the following year.

The book must also be a source of revenue. especially in the commercial section.

As far as the new nightly fees go, after many complaints, I have yet to see an explanation why from HQ

compass362 replied on 13/06/2019 13:33

Posted on 13/06/2019 13:33

Initially I use mine as a quick reference for site locations , then I found it useful in many different ways.... 

#1 To whack the great grand kids if they are naughty. 

#2 use as a mug coaster. 

#3 use as a throw fetch toy for the dog. 

Perhaps one  day I'll write a book on this extremely useful item..... thank you 

Caravan & motorhome club for supplying this to every member. 

Ps... I'm a very lucky camper... I have several now. 

Justus2 replied on 13/06/2019 15:11

Posted on 13/06/2019 15:11

Our handbooks, for both clubs, live in the van. The only time we ever look at either of them is for checking the final approach to sites and to augment the sat nav. Everything else is done from home on the PC. 

dolphinGB replied on 13/06/2019 15:16

Posted on 13/06/2019 15:16

Harryb I have to agree with you, the website is not always the best when searching, especially for cl sites, especially using the map search. And that's assuming you can get online when away on a trip.

David, at least when prices were displayed we can get a general idea of price, as some sites eg. with fewer facilities are much cheaper, and many offer special prices. This really is not clear looking at the latest Handbook.

Wildwood replied on 13/06/2019 15:16

Posted on 13/06/2019 15:16

We find the handbook useful and far quicker than the internet if you need to search. We have never used the map references so not sure how useful they are but certainly the cost information is not very useful but as there are numerous combinations of people in their units and seasonal changes, nothing works for us all. Possibly simply dividing the sites into low, medium and high cost sites or something similar is the best way forward as that gives us all abetter idea of what to expect.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook