When can we use our vehicles?

DaveT replied on 25/02/2021 11:28

Posted on 25/02/2021 11:28

My van has been sitting in the dealership having had some warranty repairs. I would like to collect it to clean it and load it before I travel to my chosen site on 12th April. The club don't seem to know if I can legally do this, apparently not something they can advise on. I guess I won't be the only member in this position. At the moment, the government website is still advising against travel unless essential. If this is the case, there will be a number of site bookings which will have to be cancelled on 12th April.

Have I interpreted the rules correctly?

JVB66 replied on 25/02/2021 16:45

Posted on 25/02/2021 16:39 by Hedgehurst

Useful information here.
Meanwhile our caravan's booked in for a service on March 16th and if I re-schedule it'll be late May before our engineer can fit us in.  I prefer him to service it here rather than in storage, but am wondering on whether towing 15 miles home for that purpose will be OK by that date.

Thanks.

Posted on 25/02/2021 16:45

Can you not have it serviced at the storage

Tinwheeler replied on 25/02/2021 16:46

Posted on 25/02/2021 16:39 by Hedgehurst

Useful information here.
Meanwhile our caravan's booked in for a service on March 16th and if I re-schedule it'll be late May before our engineer can fit us in.  I prefer him to service it here rather than in storage, but am wondering on whether towing 15 miles home for that purpose will be OK by that date.

Thanks.

Posted on 25/02/2021 16:46

I don’t think so but I don't know which country of the UK you're in. 

This applies to England -

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-response-spring-2021/covid-19-response-spring-2021-summary

LLM replied on 25/02/2021 17:03

Posted on 25/02/2021 13:43 by SteveL

I am certainly planning on taking ours for a 20 mile or so run round on the 29th..

Posted on 25/02/2021 17:03

Same here.  We will head out to the coast where we can park, walk and have lunch in the van.  Probably do about a 40 mile round trip.  

Hedgehurst replied on 25/02/2021 19:03

Posted on 25/02/2021 16:46 by Tinwheeler

I don’t think so but I don't know which country of the UK you're in. 

This applies to England -

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-response-spring-2021/covid-19-response-spring-2021-summary

Posted on 25/02/2021 19:03

We're in Northamptonshire.

Thanks for the link... I'm not yet finding anything specific there about movement of vehicles for maintenance purposes, though it's quite possible I've missed something.

Hmm, maybe I'll just have to get the guy to visit the Storage place after all, once I've visited myself to take the cover off the 'van.  I find it much more useful getting feedback from him on the spot, but I'd rather have it serviced.

Thanks again,

Tinwheeler replied on 25/02/2021 21:33

Posted on 25/02/2021 19:03 by Hedgehurst

We're in Northamptonshire.

Thanks for the link... I'm not yet finding anything specific there about movement of vehicles for maintenance purposes, though it's quite possible I've missed something.

Hmm, maybe I'll just have to get the guy to visit the Storage place after all, once I've visited myself to take the cover off the 'van.  I find it much more useful getting feedback from him on the spot, but I'd rather have it serviced.

Thanks again,

Posted on 25/02/2021 21:33

Effectively, on 16 March you will still be governed by the 21 Jan rules of only Ieaving home when necessary for essential reasons.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/national-lockdown-stay-at-home

The only changes coming in on 8 March bear no relation to your situation, HH. 

Hedgehurst replied on 26/02/2021 21:02

Posted on 26/02/2021 21:02

I've just read the advice on p66 of the March Club magazine, which includes. "If taking your vehicle for a service [ .... ]  It's usually permissible to travel to businesses which are allowed to be open" etc.

And from the link to gov't advice:
"Essential activities
You can leave home to buy things at shops or obtain services where necessary." 
"Where necessary" is a very grey area,  isn't it?

We also need some sealing work done, and I spoke on the phone to the guy, likewise local, whose workshop we plan to use for that. He's had customers bringing their own vans in throughout, and no reports of any being stopped.  So that seems to offer hope, though I suppose it still depends on how reasonable Mr Plod is feeling.

I'm currently inclined to follow JVB's suggestion of the service engineer working at the storage site, (15 miles from here), but taking the 'van myself to the bodywork workshop, which is less than 10 miles from here.

replied on 27/02/2021 10:11

Posted on 27/02/2021 10:11

The Association of Chief Police Officers have maintained a line since the first lockdown of the rules being almost impossible to enforce and this was reiterated around December when the legal requirement to wear face masks was introduced.

The Police interventions have largely been confined to breaking up large gatherings, house parties etc at a time when the transmission rates were going through the roof.

There has long been a recognition by the behavioural scientists advising SAGE that mental health will suffer; the need to avoid hitting the NHS with a shedload of mental health referrals within 5 minutes of the pandemic subsiding to manageable levels makes it unlikely that any heavy handed policing will take place. Very much a case of 'don't take the Michael', I suspect.

Steve

Porkpielander replied on 27/02/2021 14:26

Posted on 25/02/2021 11:28 by DaveT

My van has been sitting in the dealership having had some warranty repairs. I would like to collect it to clean it and load it before I travel to my chosen site on 12th April. The club don't seem to know if I can legally do this, apparently not something they can advise on. I guess I won't be the only member in this position. At the moment, the government website is still advising against travel unless essential. If this is the case, there will be a number of site bookings which will have to be cancelled on 12th April.

Have I interpreted the rules correctly?

Posted on 27/02/2021 14:26

Click and collect is legal....

DSB replied on 27/02/2021 14:36

Posted on 27/02/2021 14:36

Personally, I would take the line that, if the dealership is open for service and repairs, then it must be permissible to take and collect vehicles.  Otherwise there wouldn't be any point in them opening - if folk weren't allowed to take and collect vehicles, the service/ repair department wouldn't have any vehicles to work on....

David

Rufs replied on 27/02/2021 15:20

Posted on 27/02/2021 15:20

On our beach front at Tichfield Haven there are currently 5 MH's, in the car park at Stubbington, which i pass on my way down, there are a further 4, I am sure there would have been more but the LC have put large stakes in the grass verges where MH's used to park wink I suppose they could say that is their regular and only mode of transport ?undecided

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook