Wifi Price rise

Mikeyj replied on 10/04/2019 16:22

Posted on 10/04/2019 16:22

CAMC have put up the cost of wifi on its sites by 10% on the annual charge to £27.50. Have I missed something as there doesn’t appear to be anything in the way of explanation on the website or magazine?. Are they hoping that no-one will notice?

Tinwheeler replied on 27/12/2020 10:20

Posted on 27/12/2020 10:20

I do exactly as you suggest, Mel, I don't pay. Site wifi is only value for money when and where it works.

My mobile package gives me so much more and isn't limited to  few club sites. Each to their own, eh?

DavidKlyne replied on 27/12/2020 12:33

Posted on 27/12/2020 10:03 by MEL6OBAR

I personally think the club wifi is good value for money, those of us who use our caravans on a regular basis as quoted by caravaner JVB66 at 4p per day it is excellent value, i have worked out mine to around the same, i think if the people who are using their phones with inclusive deals worked it out they would realise they are paying much more.

One final thought if you dont like dont pay it simple do without, i remember a letter in the club magazine from a member who was in a fit of rage when the membership price went up by one pound a year a said he would cancel his membership, i wonder if he realised that he saves around £10 on pitch fees per night as opposed to none members !? i wonder if he did it.

Posted on 27/12/2020 12:33

If you use a lot of Club sites over a year I would not argue that the annual subscription is pretty good value. However many of us prefer to use our phones as often the signal it provides is both a fast and a consistent connection which from my experience is not always the case with Club WiFi. We are also buying the data element on our phones for other uses beyond staying on campsites so the extra cost is minimal. Where I digress from agreeing that the Club WiFi is good value are the weekly and daily charges which are far too expensive for the service offered. It seems as though the Club WiFi is geared to selling an annual pass rather than providing a service to those who occasionally require an internet connection because of a weak 4G signal. Personally I feel the weekly charge should be nearer a fiver and the daily charge around one pound. If you were to extrapolate my suggested charges up to an annual rate it would equate to £260 for £5 weekly charge and £365 for the daily charge? The current charges equate to £520 for the weekly charges and £1095 for the current daily charge, so to me there is something wrong there? I understand that there will be more administration involved in buying the weekly and daily charges but considering that the purchase and provision of short time periods costs no more than buying an annual pass as everything is automatic except for perhaps there being more transaction charges I don't see the weekly and daily charges as being reasonable.

David

EmilysDad replied on 27/12/2020 13:02

Posted on 27/12/2020 10:03 by MEL6OBAR

I personally think the club wifi is good value for money, those of us who use our caravans on a regular basis as quoted by caravaner JVB66 at 4p per day it is excellent value, i have worked out mine to around the same, i think if the people who are using their phones with inclusive deals worked it out they would realise they are paying much more.

One final thought if you dont like dont pay it simple do without, i remember a letter in the club magazine from a member who was in a fit of rage when the membership price went up by one pound a year a said he would cancel his membership, i wonder if he realised that he saves around £10 on pitch fees per night as opposed to none members !? i wonder if he did it.

Posted on 27/12/2020 13:02

the alleged savings by being a member is just manipulation of figures, no one in their right mind would stay at a club site paying none member site fees.

As for wifi ... I've struggled in the past to even log in to this site using club wifi.

Phishing replied on 02/01/2021 21:48

Posted on 02/01/2021 21:48

A couple of points raised in this thread.

The discussion about cost being OK and similar to commercials.

I dont think I have been asked to pay for WiFi on a commercial for a long time.

The perception that the service is better. Probably just fewer people using it, I use a 4G package that comes with my phone so is no additional cost as I suspect many people do. Site WiFi will be redundant in a year or two with 5G and Starlink going live.

In fairness £27 a year would be good value for a decent platform for TV etc but the club infrastructure is just not capable of holding signal for an message thread neve mind streaming HD.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook