Unreasonable replies to text size and legibility

RobinTheBank replied on 30/01/2021 13:28

Posted on 30/01/2021 13:28

Having just received the latest club magazine I have to say once again I find some of the text very difficult to read. I searched to see if any discussion had taken place since many, many people complained when the magazine design, paper and printer changed and no complants made any difference.

I found a discussion from last August and was very surprised with some very silly comments made such as read it on the web etc. I could not find any response from the club, perhaps I missed it but please take note it seems a lot of people are not happy. Very small, thin typfaces, bad ink distribution, wasted space which could be used to make typefaces bigger and more readable. Whoever checks the printer proofs probably gets them on non shiny, non show-through paper and does not have the eyes of a 76 year old who needs glasses and has to squint to read the mag in some places.

If this was a commercial magazine for which one had to pay a subscription it would not last long in my opinion. Some silly people may react and tell me 'don't read it then' but it is part of my subscription and as such should give me value for money.

Tinwheeler replied on 31/01/2021 16:30

Posted on 31/01/2021 16:25 by RobinTheBank

The new magazine style and especially the typefaces were criticised by many people including me when the changes were made and the problem has been highlighted in these forums before. I also think it would be in the interests of the members and the club that new posts on the forums could be monitored as they are on others.

Posted on 31/01/2021 16:30

But they are issues you need to address to the club. I suggest you contact Rowena as a starting point.

DSB replied on 31/01/2021 18:58

Posted on 31/01/2021 18:58

I have made a note of the problem some appear to be having with the magazine typeface and will bring up the problem at a suitable point at the Club Council meeting in April, if I have the opportunity, and if no-one is successful in getting a response before this.

David

yellowbelly replied on 02/02/2021 15:18

Posted on 02/02/2021 15:18

The red typeface, as it appears in the February magazine letters pages, is particularly difficult to read so I would be pleased to see DSB raise the issue

redface replied on 02/02/2021 20:25

Posted on 02/02/2021 20:25

May I suggest that Arial font, size 12 would be useful to a lot of members.

Clearly by using smaller font size less paper is needed and the costs are therefore cheaper however there comes a point when the club does it's members a disservice by failing to communicate clearly.

DSB replied on 03/02/2021 01:06

Posted on 02/02/2021 15:18 by yellowbelly

The red typeface, as it appears in the February magazine letters pages, is particularly difficult to read so I would be pleased to see DSB raise the issue

Posted on 03/02/2021 01:06

I'll let you know how I get on YB..

David

papgeno replied on 13/02/2021 19:21

Posted on 13/02/2021 19:21

I wouldn't get overly fussed. In my opinion you're not missing owt.

DSB replied on 24/04/2021 15:52

Posted on 02/02/2021 15:18 by yellowbelly

Posted on 24/04/2021 15:52

Just to let you know that I bought up the issue today at Club Council.  The Director General, Nick Lomas, was sad to hear that some folk were finding it difficult to read the magazine.  The comments will be passed on to the appropriate people so that this can be reviewed.

David

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook