Up rated WiFi

SteveL replied on 31/01/2021 21:57

Posted on 31/01/2021 21:57

There is an interesting article in The February magazine re up rating the Wifi to 100MB at 107 locations. It also states that “ you will find streaming movies, staying in touch with loved ones and posting photos online, even easier than before. Being able to stream videos is now also mentioned on the WiFi web page, although it also says that you shouldn’t.🤔

I always thought the wifi was just intended for emails and browsing, not streaming and face time. Even if uprated to 100MB, it’s not going to take many streaming in HD or using face time to overload the system.

DavidKlyne replied on 31/01/2021 23:53

Posted on 31/01/2021 23:53

I saw that Steve and noticed the bit about streaming. I assume they are piping fibre cable directly to the site? Although 100 MB sounds fast it is actually quite slow in the scheme of things. I have a direct fibre connection to my house which will support speeds of up to 900 MB should I be willing to pay for it. Having said that it will certainly be an improvement on the current situation but I will continue to us my 4G phone connection where possible as I am already paying for that.

David

Amesford replied on 01/02/2021 09:19

Posted on 01/02/2021 09:19

In our Village at the moment we have fibre optics running to the  local distribution box but BT are now connecting fibre cables to all of the telegraph poles in the area so no doubt we will be getting offers of even faster internet speeds. Last year we were given a 4G wifi hub and used it while away on our only trip away last year we had a good signal so all four of us could use it at the same time plus we could access our Sky Go TV account 

MeAgain replied on 20/05/2021 11:38

Posted on 20/05/2021 11:38

Can someone please tell me how to connect to WIFI at the moment? On site a couple of weeks ago I was greeted with the usual "Hello" etc and told I had about 700hrs remaining. When I clicked to log in I was blocked. Queried this with the Club who just referred me to Air Angel.

Complete waste of time, simply saying the Club had a UK-wide problem and something (largely unintelligible) about free on daily basis?

Any ideas, folks?

DavidKlyne replied on 20/05/2021 20:59

Posted on 20/05/2021 11:38 by MeAgain

Can someone please tell me how to connect to WIFI at the moment? On site a couple of weeks ago I was greeted with the usual "Hello" etc and told I had about 700hrs remaining. When I clicked to log in I was blocked. Queried this with the Club who just referred me to Air Angel.

Complete waste of time, simply saying the Club had a UK-wide problem and something (largely unintelligible) about free on daily basis?

Any ideas, folks?

Posted on 20/05/2021 20:59

When you went into your WiFi settings did it show as connected or not?

David

CraigHew replied on 21/05/2021 10:31

Posted on 21/05/2021 10:31

I struggle to understand why members opt to use site wifi....

My wife and I both have smartphones with unlimited data allowances which cost about £20 per month.

So long as we have a mobile signal (we have travelled extensively and haven't yet come across a blind spot) we can stream all TV services, netflix, Prime, on-demand etc etc until we've had our fill.

Our caravan TV links to the phone's wifi hotspot along with our android pad.

We can both stream separate services simultaneously if needed.

JVB66 replied on 21/05/2021 10:35

Posted on 21/05/2021 10:31 by CraigHew

My wife and I both have smartphones with unlimited data allowances which cost about £20 per month.

So long as we have a mobile signal (we have travelled extensively and haven't yet come across a blind spot) we can stream all TV services, netflix, Prime, on-demand etc etc until we've had our fill.

Posted on 21/05/2021 10:35

Its a Good job there is wifi on this site as neither mine or oh have a signal on our mobiles

JVB66 replied on 21/05/2021 10:37

Posted on 03/05/2021 17:04 by longtermpuller

As there are 3 levels of WiFi speeds, gold silver or bronze, why is there not a corresponding 3tier price structure

Posted on 21/05/2021 10:37

How are you going to work that out? as it is the site that has  one of the speeds not the network surprised

SteveL replied on 21/05/2021 14:53

Posted on 21/05/2021 10:31 by CraigHew

Posted on 21/05/2021 14:53

So long as we have a mobile signal (we have travelled extensively and haven't yet come across a blind spot)

It does depend on where you tour and on what provider you are with. We have just returned from a tour of several sites, both CAMC and others. My phone on EE had 4G everywhere, except Clumber, where no networks work, not even a phone signal. OH’s on O2 also had no 3/4G at Pitlochry, Kinlochewe and Poolewe, although a phone signal was available.

O2 does seem particularly poor for data coverage in Scotland.

Goldie146 replied on 22/05/2021 16:46

Posted on 22/05/2021 16:46

We’re at Englethwaite Hall - a site with just a hotspot, and slow at that. But from where we are pitched it’s adequate to check emails and read the news etc. 

When I logged on it remembered me and said how many hours I had left (from last year).

To up the speed a bit I used my phone as a hotspot, but we don’t really need Wi-Fi when away. I downloaded a lot of films etc onto my laptop (from iPlayer and Netflix) for the rainy days we are expecting. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook