Air awning over windows

ScreenName92FAC5C6F2 replied on 29/07/2020 23:28

Posted on 29/07/2020 23:28

Hi we have recently purchased a Lunar Clubman SE caravan with Dorema Futura 330 air all season awning. The issue we have is that it doesn't matter where you position the awning it covers the windows a leaves big gaps. The awning does come with cushioned pads and poles to push against the side of the van but it doesn't work. I have seen that Vango awnings have a special draught seal system for this issue. Has anyone got a solution for this problem or do i have to bite the bullet and buy a different awning ? The Caravan dealer hasn't been much help as they sold this as a package.

Whittakerr replied on 30/07/2020 10:42

Posted on 30/07/2020 10:42

Irrespective of the problem of sealing the awning to the wall of your caravan i would never have an awning that goes over a window. Apart from the fact you will be unable to open the window, caravan windows are made of a fairly soft plastic and an awning will scratch it.

allanandjean replied on 30/07/2020 13:59

Posted on 30/07/2020 13:59

Hi, we have had similar problems with any part awning, other than a small porch or a full awning.

We have a Lunar Clubman SR and use a Isabella Magnum with it. Depending on the pitch slope/size etc we sometimes have the LH side, as you view it, between the front side window and door, and sometimes as close to the front as we can which avoids the rear side window but makes it difficult to get a good fit due to the curve of the roof.

When we fit with the awning across a window we cover the window with cling film before fitting the awning.

replied on 30/07/2020 14:43

Posted on 30/07/2020 14:43

When we fit with the awning across a window we cover the window with cling film before fitting the awning.

Leaving clingfilm on polyplastic windows can destroy the window due to chemical reaction causing clouding or crazing. .

Flyingfox replied on 30/07/2020 14:58

Posted on 30/07/2020 14:58

We have a Vango air awning with the Draught seal system and find that it works very well over the rear window on our Cadiz. It pulls tight over the window and there is no sign of scratches. So all in all it appears to be a good system.

Rufs replied on 30/07/2020 18:19

Posted on 30/07/2020 14:17 by Cornersteady

Hello

Kampa do a fixing system that is supposed to allow for windows as you describe and could be adapted to your awning, it's called Limpet, see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlM_Y18c3Ao

Posted on 30/07/2020 18:19

Not sure it allows for windows as such, we have a Coachman 550/5 with Kampa 390air awning which is excellent, and using the Limpet system makes for a good fit with the side of the van, no over lap onto windows though. Limpet system is quite expensive and the limpets are prone to breaking if you are over enthusiastic with the tightening.

Cornersteady replied on 30/07/2020 18:35

Posted on 30/07/2020 18:19 by Rufs

Not sure it allows for windows as such, we have a Coachman 550/5 with Kampa 390air awning which is excellent, and using the Limpet system makes for a good fit with the side of the van, no over lap onto windows though. Limpet system is quite expensive and the limpets are prone to breaking if you are over enthusiastic with the tightening.

Posted on 30/07/2020 18:35

I think it will allow the bottom part of the awning under the window to be held flush with the caravan wall?

Whittakerr replied on 30/07/2020 18:37

Posted on 30/07/2020 13:59 by allanandjean

Hi, we have had similar problems with any part awning, other than a small porch or a full awning.

We have a Lunar Clubman SR and use a Isabella Magnum with it. Depending on the pitch slope/size etc we sometimes have the LH side, as you view it, between the front side window and door, and sometimes as close to the front as we can which avoids the rear side window but makes it difficult to get a good fit due to the curve of the roof.

Posted on 30/07/2020 18:37

i wouldn't recommend putting cling film on caravan windows, i have heard reports it makes the window go cloudy or milky due to a reaction.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook