Alko Axle Problems

georgevan replied on 07/09/2016 07:59

Posted on 07/09/2016 07:59

I am the owner of a 2013 Bailey Unicorn 2 Cadiz and have just been told that I will require the axle to be removed and sent back to Alko for refurbishment.

This will mean the caravan being off the road for 6 to 8 weeks and a cost of about £1000.

Is this due to bad design/production of the axle or the caravan layout ? - the gas locker, fidge and cooker are on the side that has failed.

Is this what we should expect from a 3/4year old caravan?

Milothedog replied on 20/08/2019 08:41

Posted on 19/08/2019 22:34 by TJJJ2012

Hi

To all those people with Bailey Unicorn Vigo axle problems.

Dont bother to try and get your problems resolved by Bailey, the company should not be in existence.

How a company as big as this can get away with in building such a critical mechanical fault, that will fail within a very short number of years.

We have purchased a Bailey Unicorn Vigo last August 2018, we purchased it from Abercaveny Caravans Dingestow Monmouth, we had only towed the new van to us about eight miles where we have sited it, when we found we had the suspension problem.  When we contacted Abercaveny Caravans and explained the problem, there was no problem in getting it sorted, and we are sure Abercaveny Caravans didn’t know about the problem, we had a chat, and we came to the agreement that they would pay for the refurbishment of the axle, and I would remove the axle and replace, I am a qualified mechanic so it was not a problem.

What a difference dealing with a small established company, that went the extra mile, and has kept a customer for life, thank you Abercaveny Caravans for all you have done, would have no problem in recommending this company.

The axle was sent to Scotland, Fraser Brown, who I would strongly recommend, it was returned in under a week, and refurbished to a higher spec.  We will have no problem in the future.

If anyone has this problem out there, phone Fraser in Scotland and have a chat, he is very helpful, and will give you help and guidance.

If anyone needs the transporting pallet I have one.  Give me a call 07986157779.

Posted on 20/08/2019 08:41

Can't say I would do the same having given a dealer £1000's of my money. Bet they love you supplying the free labor and freeing up their workshop space whilst the axle was away.  cool

It would have been towed straight back to them insisting it was dealt with straight away with a request to call me when its ready to collect.

Hope that's the last of your problems with it cool 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook