Bumper plates for removable tow bars

paulanda replied on 13/01/2020 16:54

Posted on 13/01/2020 16:54

I am having a removable tow bar fitted to my car and wondered if there is a Bumper plate that some how bolts onto the swan neck.

I have seen the self adhesive clear silicon pad that stick to the car bumper, but don't particularly want to use one as it might leave sticky residue behind when eventually removed.

Any advise or pointers would be appreciated.

thanks

Paul

Sandgroper replied on 14/01/2020 21:23

Posted on 14/01/2020 21:23

Having just purchased a 'new' car with a detachable towbar I found that the new purchase left a deeper void than the old fixed bar. As I usually hitch up using the Ego Mover and have managed to stay clear of my bumpers for thirty years I am probably safe but I have considered manufacturing an aluminium shield (simply a right angle fold in a piece of ali sheet) backed with some foam cushion, or even old carpet, to slot over the bumper.

That should solve any minor bumps. If I hit it harder perhaps its time to pack the game in!!!

lagerorwine replied on 17/01/2020 14:47

Posted on 17/01/2020 14:47

I would obtain one of those cheap 25mm thick kneeling pads that gardeners use from Poundland or similar. Then make a cut-out for it to slide down either side of the swan neck.

There should be enough left sticking up to protect the bumper

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook