Does this layout exist

ChopperPort replied on 19/08/2019 13:54

Posted on 19/08/2019 13:54

Hi, We are a family of 4 new to Caravanning last year. Our current unit is an Elddis Crown Superking which has a pull out bunk bed over a make up double at the back, the children use this and then we make up the front bed every night. 

Ideally I’d like to have a fixed double and separate fixed bunk beds for the children. I can’t find any layout that does this. I think it could be achieved in a layout that had a fixed bed to the rear with the bunks running along the back of the van behind a wall behind the fixed beds headboard. The bunks would be accessed around the side of the fixed bed and would be akin to a Japanese ‘pod’ bed. 

Does anything like this exist, if not can anyone suggest a unit with a layout that would work for us?

thanks

Cornersteady replied on 21/08/2019 15:45

Posted on 21/08/2019 15:45

Our first caravan a crown was the same. We now have a six berth Sprite major 6 TD, which might be better for you when used as a four berth. Two fixed bunks and a dinette with table always set up at the back of the caravan for the children. There is also a sliding partition to block them off. Also has a power socket there for their tvs, consoles...

No front fixed double but the singles are long enough for adults and of course you can make a double up as well. A number of manufactures make the same configuration. I think it has won family caravan of the year with various magazines. We have used our for many happy holiday up to when the kids were older teenagers although now it's often just the two of us.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N2A03PP-PA

andeeh replied on 21/08/2019 15:57

Posted on 21/08/2019 15:45 by Cornersteady

Our first caravan a crown was the same. We now have a six berth Sprite major 6 TD, which might be better for you when used as a four berth. Two fixed bunks and a dinette with table always set up at the back of the caravan for the children. There is also a sliding partition to block them off. Also has a power socket there for their tvs, consoles...

No front fixed double but the singles are long enough for adults and of course you can make a double up as well. A number of manufactures make the same configuration. I think it has won family caravan of the year with various magazines.

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N2A03PP-PA

Posted on 21/08/2019 15:57

We have the similar Sprite Major 6 that we use as a 4 berth for pretty much the same reasons - fixed bunks for the kids, side dinette with table always set up etc and it works really well for us. If I'm perfectly honest and in retrospect probably would have gone with the 6TD over the 6 because of the partition the TD has but it's a minor point.

If the OP hasn't already discounted these layouts for whatever reason then they are both definitely worth considering for anyone with a young family.

replied on 21/08/2019 18:33

Posted on 21/08/2019 18:33

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Cornersteady replied on 21/08/2019 20:14

Posted on 21/08/2019 15:57 by andeeh

We have the similar Sprite Major 6 that we use as a 4 berth for pretty much the same reasons - fixed bunks for the kids, side dinette with table always set up etc and it works really well for us. If I'm perfectly honest and in retrospect probably would have gone with the 6TD over the 6 because of the partition the TD has but it's a minor point.

If the OP hasn't already discounted these layouts for whatever reason then they are both definitely worth considering for anyone with a young family.

Posted on 21/08/2019 20:14

yes they are both great caravans and really good levels of kit. Now we are down to two, sometimes three, we are considering a fixed bed but certainly going for another Sprite. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook