Elddis Avante 462-stress crack to rear panel

Kartman60 replied on 04/03/2016 16:33

Posted on 04/03/2016 16:33

Has anyone experienced problems with Elddis SoLiD construction?

In 2015 we noticed the rear panel on our 2013 Elddis Avante 462 had gapping stress cracks in the top corners on the side. Also, at the same time water was dripping in from a cracked frame/kerb to the heki rooflight. On contacting our dealer they said they had other vans awaiting repair suffering from the same two problems.

After some wait for the parts and a free slot at the dealer, we had a new rear panel and heki rooflight fitted under warranty in November last year.  The new rear panel being a different design to the original.  The heki rooflight repair included the addition of a timber subframe in the roof construction as it was considered that the original design did not allow for any movement which had been the caues of the original cracks.  This amendment was done with agreement with Elddis by our dealer.

We've just picked up the van from it's 2016 annual service today and been informed that the new rear panel has cracks in both top corners..  We have only done some 50 miles towing since the original repair..back home from the dealer after the repairs and then back to the dealer for the service.

The dealer is unable to tell us when they will be able to replace this new panel, which will be under warrant again, as Elddis as yet, do not have a solution to the cracking problem.  Apparantly mine is not the only van that's had a replacement rear panel fitted that has again cracked.

We're told we can use the van as normal as it's not a structural problem.

I must add that our dealer/service agent has been very helpful and proactive in trying to solve our problems.

Anyone else experiencing similar SoLiD construction issue's?  Perhaps SoLiD construction is too SOLID...and doesn't allow any tolerance for things to flex?

Runrig replied on 04/03/2016 17:47

Posted on 04/03/2016 17:47

I think you will find you are in good company.

You could add your name to a list, if there was one.

Instead you will be just another disgruntled individual with a problem (which seams to be a very common problem)

Is it SoLID, or is it not solid enough, or is it poor supplier quality, or have you driven over the wrong type of pothole ( in that odd 50 miles). Or is it ABS is just not up to the job?

Hope you get it sorted... Again...

ChrisRogers replied on 04/03/2016 17:51

Posted on 04/03/2016 17:51

I have put this on another post on this forum:

I think I have just joined the Elddis 'cracking club', purchased a brand new 2014 Compass Omega 482 beginning of November 2015, fifth time out last week and when putting up our new porch awning and threading it through the channel, saw a small crack in the rear panel, above where the rear side marker light is. Still got 8 months left on the warranty so the dealer will be informed. When you read the Elddis warranty information front and rear panels have only a 12 month warranty!

The caravan must have been on the dealers forecourt for 9 months or so, it did have a good discount and I have only done around 700 miles towing it.

Trini replied on 04/03/2016 18:14

Posted on 04/03/2016 18:14

Sorry Kartman it seems you like us and many many others have been misled by the term SoLID contstruction.

The panels it seems used by Elddis are not designed or suitable to be used on caravans if they are to be towed.

DerekAndSusan replied on 05/03/2016 17:14

Posted on 05/03/2016 17:14

As posted before our rear panel cracked before it was 12 months old. Replaced last summer but we just don't have any faith in this van anymore. Due to go in for its service in a few weeks time. Any more trouble and it's gone, will just sell it to the dealer to get rid of, as our Xplore seems to be build by people who are NOT caravan manufactures but make great display models for shows If you look at the small invisible print they are not meant to be towed,slept in or used by your average member.

Trini replied on 07/03/2016 13:00

Posted on 07/03/2016 13:00

Our July 2014) Affinity has been inspected by an independent expert and reports that the front & rear panels should not have failed in the time frame and are not result of anything weve done. Same with the Heki skylight thats crazed.

So now waiting for what credit card co & dealer are to do.

SimonandWendy replied on 18/04/2016 20:48

Posted on 18/04/2016 20:48

Like many others we purchased an Elddis SoLID (2014 Avante 515) caravan primarily because of the 10 year warranty, having suffered serious water leaks in a 2011 caravan ( the caravan 2 years old when it started leaking) from another (British) manufacturer. At its second service last week, stress cracks have been identified in the rear ABS panel. The dealer's initial response was to suggest drilling holes to stop the cracks spreading further and then covering over the cracks with covers which have apparently been designed for this purpose ! Having rejected this as unacceptable in a product of this age, and which has been cared for so well, we spoke with Elddis directly and now have verbal agreement that the rear panel will be entirely replaced under warranty. We hope that this will resolve this most disappointing issue in what has otherwise been a really good caravan. 

Kartman60 replied on 19/04/2016 09:56

Posted on 19/04/2016 09:56

Hi Simonand Wendy...sorry to hear you've the same problem as we have.  I've already had a replacement panel fitted which was a slightly different design/shape.  Unfortunately this cracked again in both corners after minimal use of the van.  My dealer is still waiting for Elddis to confirm they have a solution to the cracking problem before he fits another replacement panel under warranty.  It's been 2 months now since they asked....I've still not heard any response...

I would question your dealer to ask the Elddis technical dept whether the replacement panel your dealer is going to fit has been proven to cure the cracking problem.

Paulinelawrie replied on 19/04/2016 19:53

Posted on 19/04/2016 19:53

I have a 3.5 years old Coachman Amara 450/2, bought 6 months ago-fabulous specification, great tower and in A1 condition. However, on taking it out of winter storage we spotted a crack (3 inch's approx.) over the top of the offside window. Research via the Caravan Talk Forum indicates that this is a common problem and is caused by the way in which the screws under the trim rail were fited e.g. not predrilled. Several other owners have had new front panaels fitted at the Coachman factory FOC, so I have written to them pleading my case. Nobody wants cracks in their caravan nor the water ingress that will result-I already feel that I have wasted the £11500 that it cost, so I am not happy and will pursue the issue through the Customer Rights Act 2015 which states 'goods should be of a satisfactory quality, fit for purpose and as described'. Mine is not fit for caravanning in wet weather etc etc.

Cheers to all.

An update of the potential saga to get a resolution will follow in due course

Wildwood replied on 19/04/2016 20:54

Posted on 19/04/2016 20:54

Most makes seem to have minor problems with cracking end panels but Eldiss appear to have the biggest. Not sure if it is ABS or they cut costs too far but the cost to the manufacturers should mean something will need to change.

narborian replied on 30/05/2019 14:59

Posted on 30/05/2019 14:59

My Elddis Avante 462 2014 is now showing small stress cracks where the ABS rear panel meets the aluminium side panels down the vertical edges of the awning rail.

High damp recording in bottom of wardrobe accredited to this  problem.

Elddis are not interested as this is not covered by the 10 year Solid warranty. The warranty on the rear ABS panel is 3 years only. The first year is covered by Elddis and the second and third years by the dealer you brought the caravan from, under the sale of goods act being of merchantable quality.

ABS is obviously not suitable for caravan rear panels and the panel manufacturer manufactures for several caravan makers. You have no redress with the panel makers, as his customers are the caravan makers and not the people who eventually buy the caravans. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook