Fixed bed under bed storage

JontyWild replied on 22/06/2019 17:44

Posted on 22/06/2019 17:44

After three caravans, we have now bought one with a fixed bed. I wonder if other members have a tips for using the massive storage this provides. I am not asking about weight as I understand that I need to take account of weight for anything stored.

Has anyone come up with innovative ways of stopping what is stored there from sliding around?

Navigateur replied on 20/08/2019 18:35

Posted on 20/08/2019 18:35

I have one of these very large "Really Useful Boxes" in the middle of the under-bed space.  It is watertight and intended to store the second set of bedding and reserve duvet, but also supports the middle of the bed should it decide to sag. Lots of things around it, cardboard wine carriers are great for small stuff - and wine, of course.  As nothing is jammed into place it can all be accessed easily, but nothing seems to migrate during the journey.

Perhaps the most important thing under the bed is the extra bit of awning pole with a sucker cup on each end to keep the bed in the "up" position when crawling underneath.

jennyc replied on 22/08/2019 09:09

Posted on 22/08/2019 09:09

There’s no chance of sliding in ours, because it’s full with, the wastemaster, folding awning table, folding chairs x3 (one for our cat) a small vacum cleaner, roll mats, a printer, awning pegs, clothes airer and a polly box of toilet cleaner etc. The heaviest item for its size is the awning pegs, followed by the chemical bottle box. The biggest is the wastemaster. The high noseweight on the van, when empty, is designed  to allow a significant portion of the payload under the fixed bed, to rebalance the wan.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook