Kerbweight

Lutz replied on 27/12/2020 21:04

Posted on 27/12/2020 21:04

In a since locked thread about outfit matching services reference was made to kerbweight being a variable. I don't want to get into a lengthy discussion regarding other statements made in the topic (I presume that the thread was locked due to the likelihood of it becoming a long drawn out matter) but I would just like to quote the definition of kerbweight and leave it at that. Perhaps things will be a bit clearer that it is not variable:

The Road Vehicles (Construction & Use) Regulations 1986 define kerbweight as follows:

the weight of a vehicle when it carries—
     (a) in the case of a motor vehicle,
          (i) no person; and
          (ii) a full supply of fuel in its tank, an adequate supply of other liquids incidental to its propulsion and no load other than the loose tools and equipment with which it is normally equipped;
     (b) in the case of a trailer, no person and is otherwise unladen.

Tinwheeler replied on 04/01/2021 09:09

Posted on 04/01/2021 08:59 by dawlishpete

Yes Ray! Thats the point I have been making. The caravan club will now totally ignore what you are suggesting and remain with one foot firmly planted in the 20th century ;-)

Posted on 04/01/2021 09:09

Have you contacted the club yet as was suggested?

dawlishpete replied on 12/01/2021 13:18

Posted on 04/01/2021 09:09 by Tinwheeler

Have you contacted the club yet as was suggested?

Posted on 12/01/2021 13:18

No point really. As Lutz has high-lighted, there is no fixed definition of kerbweight in law, therefore the "85%" rule is an irrelevant guess broadly swept into folklore with a will to make matters safer. In law the only weights that matter are the plated weights of the vehicle and caravan.

dawlishpete replied on 23/01/2021 20:02

Posted on 12/01/2021 14:07 by Tinwheeler

That’s exactly what I posted to you at the very beginning in your first thread. It is no more than a guide with no standing in law but you seemed to want the club to change to something else🤷🏻‍♂️

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-together/discussions/information-technical-tips-advice/caravans/outfit-matching-service/

Posted on 23/01/2021 20:02

It must of been posted somewhere else or its been Deleted User.

Lutz replied on 24/01/2021 09:40

Posted on 12/01/2021 13:18 by dawlishpete

No point really. As Lutz has high-lighted, there is no fixed definition of kerbweight in law, therefore the "85%" rule is an irrelevant guess broadly swept into folklore with a will to make matters safer. In law the only weights that matter are the plated weights of the vehicle and caravan.

Posted on 24/01/2021 09:40

But there is a fixed definition of kerbweight in law, the trouble is that few stick to it. Instead, they create their own definition and expect others to know what it includes. The situation isn't made any easier by the fact that the vehicle manufacturer is not required to document kerbweight anywhere.

Mass in running order (or mass in service as the V5c calls it) is no better because it only refers to the actual weight of the one vehicle that was submitted for type approval. Other vehicles of the same type or model but with further factory fitted options may weigh more, but their mass in running order remains the same.

The closest documented figure is the 'actual mass' shown as item 13.2 in the vehicle's certificate of conformity. It is only a calculated value, but at least it does take into account the full equipment specification relating to that particular vehicle.

lornalou1 replied on 24/01/2021 13:01

Posted on 24/01/2021 13:01

surely the correct weight would be done on a weighbridge with full tank of fuel and no driver. you can then work out the match from that. peace of mind for yourself. 

lornalou1 replied on 10/02/2021 16:06

Posted on 08/02/2021 15:07 by armourer

the answer to a vehicle kerb weight is on the log book

simples

Posted on 10/02/2021 16:06

Not all log books have the kerbweight on them and not all have the "mass in service" weight either. 

Extugger replied on 10/02/2021 18:21

Posted on 10/02/2021 18:21

Possibly there's no legal requirement to publish the kerbweight of vehicles here in the UK was because all have manufacturing tolerances of +/- 5%, which in the pre-automation days, was probably the reason why 20 identical vehicles coming off the production line, would all weigh differently. With today's technology, they should all weigh the same (or have the same mass) but as I recall, the tolerances still remain. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook