New towball - to sand or not to sand

alan1406 replied on 11/08/2019 13:14

Posted on 11/08/2019 13:14

We had a Bailey caravan last time we changed car and the local caravan dealer said to sand down the Volvo fitted painted towball until it was silver (see pic)

Now we have a Crusader Zephyr and are changing our car to a LR Discovery which will have a retractable towball fitted by LR. 

What’s the advice for Elddis caravans? Silver (sanded down) or keep the painted version? Interested to hear opinions

Lutz replied on 11/08/2019 13:35

Posted on 11/08/2019 13:35

Whether to remove the paint or not has nothing to do with the make of car or that of the caravan. It all depends on whether the hitch has an integrated frictional damper such as the AlKo AKS3004 or Winterhoff WS3000. Such hitches rely on a completely clean towball, free from paint or other contaminant, to work properly.

replied on 11/08/2019 13:43

Posted on 11/08/2019 13:43

It is on a modern Alko chassis I think and so remove paint from the ball

replied on 11/08/2019 18:42

Posted on 11/08/2019 13:14 by alan1406

We had a Bailey caravan last time we changed car and the local caravan dealer said to sand down the Volvo fitted painted towball until it was silver (see pic)

Now we have a Crusader Zephyr and are changing our car to a LR Discovery which will have a retractable towball fitted by LR. 

What’s the advice for Elddis caravans? Silver (sanded down) or keep the painted version? Interested to hear opinions

Posted on 11/08/2019 18:42

The black paint will be rubbed off by the friction pads of the hitch, the paint fragments will then become embedded in said pads, causing noise and increased wear.

So as said for us caravanners we must remove the paint.

I wouldn't sand it down, bit harsh and the paint is very stubborn.

If your dealer wont do it before fitting, I used with great success a hand held angle grinder with a wire brush twisted cup attached, very easy, thorough and relatively quick with no damage to the metal ball I could see.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook