No Elddis Caravan Warranty

JohnHerbert replied on 22/02/2021 08:51

Posted on 22/02/2021 08:51

Copies of emails sent to Elddis regarding warranty on my Elddis Chatsworth.  Unrealistic answers with no interest in resolving problems when first lockdown came into effect. Start reading from the bottom to top. 
Would be interested in your opinion. 
The copy of the letter which I sent indicates service to be carried out  within 60 days either side of registration date. 
Regards, John Herbert. 

Copy of the letter which you sent to me when I first bought the caravan. There is no way I could have had the service within the +or- 60 days because of Covid lockdown.  I maintain that nobody would have predicted lockdown before the anniversary date and the service centres were heavily booked and as far as I am concerned I booked it in within the specified period laid out in your letter. 
Regards,
John. 
Sent from my iPhone

On 18 Feb 2021, at 16:37, Erwin Hymer Group Uk Ltd <customer.care@erwinhymergroup.co.uk> wrote:

Dear Mr Herbert,

Thank you for your email.

As this was your 3rd year service, you only had 60 days before, so the service period was an earliest date of 01/01/2020, with a latest date of 01/03/2020 (I have provided your service schedule below) your 3rd year service could have been carried out between these dates, which was prior to lockdown.

<12921659.gif>

Kindest regards,

Customer Care
Erwin Hymer Group UK Ltd

Thanks for reply,
The caravan service was due on 1st March 2020 plus or minus 60 days. Give that there was no mention of lockdown until lockdown happened it could not be foreseen.  60 days from 1st of March takes us to 29th April 2020 so I already had the caravan booked in with Clwyd Caravans in Wrexham on 1st April which they cancelled, I then rearranged for 6th May which was also cancelled.  We didn’t come out of lockdown until 23rd June so there is no way that I could have had the caravan serviced within these dates to maintain warranty.  You can check with Clwyd Caravans as I’m sure that they will have records to prove that I did try to have the caravan serviced on these dates.
I feel it unbelievable that you blatantly dismiss my efforts to maintain the service and make no mention of the plus or minus 60 days from date of registration.
Regards,
John.

Sent from my iPhone

On 17 Feb 2021, at 16:16, Erwin Hymer Group Uk Ltd <customer.care@erwinhymergroup.co.uk> wrote:

Dear Mr Herbert,

Thank you for your email of recent date.

Please may I respectfully advise that your 2020 service was due between 01/01/2020 and the 01/03/2020, which was well befores before the lock down period due to Covid, so your vehicle could have been serviced during that time.

Unfortunately we would be unable to honour a missed service.

Kindest regards,

Customer Care
Erwin Hymer Group UK Ltd

-

- Vin Number: SGES000EXHAVA0264
- Enquiry: I currently own a Elddis Chatsworth which I bought new 1st March 2017. I booked it in for its third service last year and because of Covid Lockdown it couldn’t be serviced so I rearranged to another date and that got cancelled too. As a result because of Covid we decided to use the caravan and leave it in storage until this year. My question is, when I take it for its service this year will you still honour the warranty on the van should there be a warranty problem? I realise that the service record normally needs to be maintained in order for the warranty to apply but given the unprecedented Covid situation would you make allowances for this.

JohnHerbert replied on 22/02/2021 14:22

Posted on 22/02/2021 14:22

I’ve just had a reply from them saying that they gave an additional six months grace. How did they communicate that, as I never received any such information.  Not even the service centres which I’ve used informed me of this. I’m afraid they’re using nay excuse to get out of. No more Elddis for me in the future. 

brue replied on 22/02/2021 14:26

Posted on 22/02/2021 14:26

I think to be fair to all parties, Elddis clearly states that the service must be within 60 days before the purchase anniversary for the third year and you, as the purchaser have unfortunately not complied with the warranty request. You are now trying to make a case against Elddis when they have done nothing wrong and have politely pointed out the details to you in their responses. 

Elddis warranty LINK

longtailtit replied on 10/01/2022 17:43

Posted on 22/02/2021 14:04 by JohnHerbert

Your missing the point. I’ve sent them a copy of the letter which was set to me when I first bought the caravan on 1st March 2017. So the anniversary is 1st March.  I’ve sent them a copy and it clearly states that the service must be within 60 days either side of the anniversary date which means that I had up to the 29th April, and as long as I am the only owner that is the case until warranty ends.  My caravan was booked in for 1st April.  The problem is that we were in lockdown and all the service stations were closed and the cancelled it. MOT’s on cars were delayed by six months so there should have been something similar from the caravan manufacturers. But no, there using it as an excuse to get out of the warranty obligation.  I’ve sent them a copy of the letter and they’ve stopped conversing with me. Very poor show. 

Posted on 10/01/2022 17:43

Hi John

Apologies this is a late post, but still relevant I think. Take it from me you may have not lost too much. Elddis's warranty (post 3 years) seems more of a "scam" than anything else.  As far as my poor experience with them goes, all Elddis seem to want to do is wash their hands of any structural/water ingress issues arising from inherent faults despite the 10 yr cover period.  Instead Elddis uses any excuse, however implausible, hoping that us poor caravanners (with real issues) go away empty handed.  Far from being a reasonable manufacturer, Elddis forces customers to fight tooth and nail for justice. I have vowed never, ever, ever to buy an Elddis van again !! 

JohnHerbert replied on 10/01/2022 20:54

Posted on 10/01/2022 20:54

Regardless of lockdown It seems to me that Elddis have deliberately written their warranty conditions to catch people out on the third service in order to entice owners to be in breach of warranty conditions.  Why else would you change the service intervals from 60 days + or - the purchase anniversary date to 60 days before the anniversary date only on the third year.  I know of other people who have been caught out by this and Elddis have no sympathy. No more new Elddis caravans for me now. Customer service pathetic. 

flatcoat replied on 11/01/2022 22:18

Posted on 11/01/2022 22:18

To the best of my knowledge ALL Uk caravan manufacturers have the same warranty conditions on servicing so please tell me what brand you are going to buy?. The warranty is 3 years, plain and simple. Your car will have a warranty expiry date and I doubt the manufacturer will extend it to the post warranty service, your TV and kettle have time limited warranties so why should Eldiss give an extension? 

eribaMotters replied on 11/01/2022 23:05

Posted on 11/01/2022 23:05

I think there are several issues here. Lack of information from the manufacturer, problems/delays brought on by covid and the lack of capacity in the Hymer network to cope with servicing.

I posted earlier in this thread regarding a 5 month book in period for main dealer service at Lowdhams of Nottingham and my water ingress check.

Information has not been forthcoming from Hymer or there dealer network. I have not been offered but had to chase to find out my warranty position. It would appear with Hymer/Eriba that to keep my 6 year water ingress warranty the year 1 service has to be completed before end of year 1,  years 2,3,4 and 5 have 60 days grace either side of yearly anniversary but year 6 has to be completed before year 6. Because of covid 60 days has become 6 months, except year 1 and year 6. Are you with it.

After my March 21 service, this time with Red Lion of Southport, I asked to book my 2022 service and was told this was to early. When I tried again 3 months late I was offered June 2022. The dealer was booked up for 12 months as sales had been high and the service department had not expanded to take this into account. This was when I started a 2 month series of e-mails with Hymer to find out what the warranty position was as the dealer was unaware.

How any normal owner can expect to plan what they are doing and meet manufacture requirement when this type of situation exists is beyond me.

Colin

watto64 replied on 13/02/2022 18:55

Posted on 22/02/2021 12:01 by SteveL

Our Hymer MH is unlikely to get its second year service in line with the schedules due to the pandemic. Wether anything will get extended I have no idea. I suspect, unless it is an expensive item, it will be easier to pay for it than go through all the hassle  of trying to get approval and repeat visits to the dealer. Personally I am more concerned about getting the service done to comply with insurance, if say a gas appliance should malfunction. Or recovery if we should break down.

Posted on 13/02/2022 18:55

Thats the only reason we get our elddis serviced annually in March. all issues ive fixed myself as supplying dealer was 60 miles away and wouldent trust the chimps who assembled it to do any major repair work.

ATDel replied on 21/02/2022 15:46

Posted on 21/02/2022 15:46

I have an Elddis motorhome which last April was the 3rd anniversary.

Being a bloke who likes to cross the Ts and dot the Is I emailed Elddis both in in 2020 about the second hab check and again in 2021 re the 3rd hab check.

both hab checks were late due to covid lockdowns and was booked in to dealer at the earliest opportunity. On both occasions I had a reply from Elddis stating there would not be a problem with my warranty due to late hab checks.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook