Thetford c250 extractor kit

Boxvanginbar replied on 23/02/2021 23:05

Posted on 23/02/2021 23:05

Hi all,

our compass 634 has a C250 toilet fitted and given the current pandemic it’s likely that this year it will see more full use if you get my meaning. 
Looking to keep the air in the van more socially acceptable I’ve looked at the SOG kits and also at the Thetford extractor kit. 
Has anyone fitted the Thetford kit? Does it involve the total removal of the toilet from the van. 
Tips appreciated 

Paul. 

bill replied on 24/02/2021 07:52

Posted on 24/02/2021 07:52

I must admit that I have never seen the need to fit one but had assumed that they were merely used by people that did not want to use any chemicals in the holding container for eco reasons rather than used to keep the air in the van more socially acceptable.

I use bio washing sachets rather than 'blue' and have no problems but do tend to empty on a daily basis if I can.

Michael Kent replied on 25/02/2021 21:00

Posted on 25/02/2021 21:00

The Thetford extraction fan is really simple to install, as long as you have basic diy skills. The toilet does have to be removed, it is however not that difficult it is only screwed to the floor and a few other screws but depending on the toilet model you will see them. Check out the You tube video, Rob wise ways Thetford fan install, it shows you how to do it. Good luck. 

billyandbobby replied on 06/03/2021 19:23

Posted on 06/03/2021 19:23

Hi Boxvanginbar. Do you mean the fan that cuts in when you flush the Thetford toilet? 
Haven’t self fitted but did have one factory fitted on a new motorhome a couple of years ago. To be honest, didn’t really notice any advantage to having it and it was so noisy that we used the optional ‘off’ button as soon as we pressed the flush button to turn the extractor off - it was too noisy for us, particularly in the quiet of night. 

KjellNN replied on 06/03/2021 20:48

Posted on 06/03/2021 20:48

We too use the washing pods,  in our case the Lidl Formil ones, and have done for a few years now.

We find them excellent, no smell, we use our toilet all the time and empty as required, in our case usually every 36 hours.

Navigateur replied on 06/03/2021 21:42

Posted on 06/03/2021 21:42

The toilet fume extract that goes through the access door could cause all sorts of further problems if the toilet is positioned in the van adjacent to where the awning is fitted.

As a solution that deals with odour in the van rather than inside the toilet, I fitted an extract fan through the roof in the toilet compartment. Mr Bailey had run some of the internal light wiring across the roof and I positioned the fan to tap directly into that. 

commeyras replied on 08/03/2021 14:19

Posted on 08/03/2021 14:19

If the OP is looking at a SOG kit purely to remove odour one has to ask what he is not doing that is causing the problem or a perceived problem with increase usage?  I have a C250 in my caravan and do not have a SOG, just use the normal cassette fluid in the correct ratio and I have to say that my toilet is odour free.  I have been caravanning for 40 yrs with no unpleasant experiences.

If the OP wants one for environmental reasons that is another matter.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook