A Friendly Wave

Mr OrangeTree replied on 16/08/2019 13:54

Posted on 16/08/2019 13:54

It may be my imagination, or my age related increase in grumpiness, but has the friendly wave to passing motorhomes stopped?

Waving to yourself, as I have been for most of this year, is arguable a sanity questioning thing, but I am not noticing a response rate that is very high at all!

It's not a biggie, of course.  It's just that it has felt different this year. 

HOTORMOMER replied on 19/08/2019 20:15

Posted on 19/08/2019 20:15

In answer to Mr.Orange Tree's concern over the lack of friendly waving between motorhomers, I must say that I haven't noticed less response to my wave only a different response. Instead of a reciprocal wave with an open handed, side-side movement, there now appears to be a new 'fashion' of a two or one fingered sign. Well....call me naive if you like, and I have led a sheltered life, I can't think for the life of me just what this new signage fashion means. As I always like to be friendly to my fellow motorhomers - in a kindred spirit way, after all you never know when you'll need to borrow a hose or a tin opener, perhaps I should be adopting this new fashion just to see how it's received. Has this happened to others and what do they think?

Tigi replied on 23/08/2019 20:17

Posted on 23/08/2019 20:17

Being waved at was the worst aspect of owning a motorhome one twerp even leaned out to wave at me from the other side of a dual carriage way!

Navigateur replied on 23/08/2019 20:32

Posted on 23/08/2019 20:32

Time was, and not so long ago, when in the north one did not wave at the occupants of an oncoming vehicle, one stopped in the passing place and wound down the window to pass the time of day. Sometimes even getting out to shake hands when some connection was noticed, such as a distant cousin having had the same breed of dog. It led to many invitations to all sorts of activities, including once turning around to go to a wedding in support of the groom whose contingent of closer kinsmen were marooned on a island by the weather.

I regret that this "NC500" road race malarky has put paid to this tradition.

rayjsj replied on 26/08/2019 11:30

Posted on 23/08/2019 20:17 by Tigi

Being waved at was the worst aspect of owning a motorhome one twerp even leaned out to wave at me from the other side of a dual carriage way!

Posted on 26/08/2019 11:30

I wondered why you didnt wave back.  I hope the fine from the Police speed trap wasnt too much.😈

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook