AdBlue. Any tips?

Camperval replied on 13/05/2017 08:38

Posted on 13/05/2017 08:38

We've just bought a new motorhome on a Fiat Ducato base and it requires AdBlue. I've read the manual and some information on the Internet, so I understand how it works and that you mustn't run out of it or the engine won't start until you refill the tank. Does anyone have any experience or advice about the practicalities? We thought that we would buy a Halfords AdBlue starter pack which is 4 litres and keep that in the motorhome to be prepared for when the warning light comes on! Any thoughts?

Tinwheeler replied on 08/11/2020 17:57

Posted on 08/11/2020 17:30 by Sonsie Soo

Thanks very much all! I’ve figured out that around Edinburgh there are NO fuel stations that do Adblue at the pump so my best option is to buy 5/10 litres at my local Halfords and use a watering can to top it up.  
It’s all a learning curve but great fun at the same time! 

On another note.... my van has an underslung LPG tank - again, the capital of Scotland has NO fuel stations that do this at the pump, (apparently Shell had a fall out with Calor Gas and all their garages have withdrawn its sale.... Shell still advises however that they do still sell it, I had a few wasted journeys finding out the hard way!!)

The nearest filling station to me that does sell LPG at the pump is in Livingston. This makes sense of course as Knowepark Caravans are in Livingston and they have to put some in the tanks of new vehicles to test the system out and show buyers it all works, Of course a full tank of 25 litres will last me a long time so it wasn’t too much of a hardship.

Hoping that travel restrictions are lifted and COVID-19 will soon be under control so that we can all enjoy our special way of life as soon as possible. 🙏🏼

Take care all. 

Posted on 08/11/2020 17:57

The AdBlue containers have pouring spouts so no need for the watering can. Tip - don't buy one of a size/weight you’re unable to hold up long enough to decant the contents. You can buy it in containers at any service station.

There is a sticky thread in How to make Touring cheaper with a list of LPG sellers with pumps.

EmilysDad replied on 08/11/2020 18:13

Posted on 08/11/2020 18:13

As Tinwheeler says re pouring it from the gallon container. The filler spout on the container is made to be a reasonably water tight fit between the AdBlue tank so that it doesn't spill everywhere ... you'd not manage to fill the tank using a watering car without spilling down the side of your vehicle. Split AdBlue will apparently crystallise. Tesco petrol stations sell AdBlue

replied on 21/02/2021 20:27

Posted on 08/11/2020 18:13 by EmilysDad

As Tinwheeler says re pouring it from the gallon container. The filler spout on the container is made to be a reasonably water tight fit between the AdBlue tank so that it doesn't spill everywhere ... you'd not manage to fill the tank using a watering car without spilling down the side of your vehicle. Split AdBlue will apparently crystallise. Tesco petrol stations sell AdBlue

Posted on 21/02/2021 20:27

Bit late joining this thread, but I got here as quickly as I could ...

My towcar is a VW Tiguan and it gives 1500 miles warning of needing Adblue for its 12 Ltr tank. The Warning Light & Audible Alarm ping every time the engine is started and the countdown of Adblue left is restated at 100 mile intervals between 1500 miles and 1000 miles, and then every 50 miles thereafter.

I bought a VW 1.89Ltr Refill that has a threaded connection to the Adblue Tank + a pressure push valve that only dispenses when the connection is secure. I decant the Adblue from a 5Ltr or 10Ltr container to the 1.89Ltr Filler and that protects the car paintwork. Of course, I did this decanting in the house porch 10 days ago and forgot that I had left the tailgate open when the hailstorm started. Took about 2 hours to remove the hailstones and dry the boot area out. I know now ...

Steve

bagpuss replied on 13/01/2023 15:34

Posted on 13/05/2017 08:46 by young thomas

two things....

firstly, the Fiat Ducato does not need AdBluewink, Fiat engines acheive Euro 6 without this. however, you may be driving a Peugeot or Citroen based van, which looks pretty much identical to the Fiat but will have PSA engines which DO use AdBlue.

secondly, i looked up the 'duration' of a tank of AdBlue for my dad who has a new Peugeot vehicle.....around 12k miles...

for many MHers, this will be around 3-4 years mileage.

suggest you leave the topping up till service time.

good luck. 

Posted on 13/01/2023 15:34

They do now.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook