Autotrail annual habitation check & repairs

EnglishmaninWales replied on 17/01/2020 17:42

Posted on 17/01/2020 17:42

We purchased our brand new Autotrail T615 November 2018 c/w warranty.  We used the Motorhome several times that year on a trip to Spain and back and Holland it was excellent.

We then paid for our 1st Habitation Check November 2019 and to our SURPRISE several areas were identified as having above average damp readings.  My thought was on a new vehicle?

The Motorhome seller arranged the repairs as per the Autotrail warranty and procedures they provided.  Having taken the MH for repair I was called a day later to say its worse than first thought and that are in touch with Autotrail to determine actions? 

At this time I am still waiting for the repairs to be complete.

My concern is assuming repairs are complete  what happens if damp is found at the 2nd yearly checks?  Because in my opinion at that stage I have paid plus £40k for a substandard  MH either through poor manufacturing standards or shoddy workmanship?   Any comments or advise please.  Thanks

young thomas replied on 18/01/2020 10:10

Posted on 18/01/2020 10:10

i agree with TW above...

IMHO, if the van has 'even worse damp than the original above average reading' on a one year old van, then id say the damp was there when you bought it....ie not in a merchandisable state nor fit for purpose.

unless one specific reason (failed window/rooflight) is proven, i wouldn't want a repaired (and hope for the best) van....

good luck.

Ayf replied on 19/01/2020 18:33

Posted on 19/01/2020 18:33

My advice:  The OP should join the Autotrail Unhappy Owners Club (AUOC) on Facebook and consult with them about this damp issue as it's quite a common problem with this manufacturer.

There are many dozens of people in the AUOC who have rejected their new/nearly new vans due to severe water ingress problems so you'll be in good hands and will get the right help.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook