Boxer 'change oil' warning fix

Apperley replied on 07/02/2018 12:21

Posted on 07/02/2018 12:21

I have a Boxer 2017 2.0 hdi cab on my MH with 3800 miles on the clock. Recently the 'Change Oil' warning came up on the message centre and the red oil lamp light came on and off intermittently.

So checked oil level, looked at the oil for milkiness, both OK. The oil is meant to be changed every 20k or 12 months so looked online.

Found this Youtube fix, which simply involves pressing brake and accelerator with ignition on and tried it. Hey presto - warning cleared so thought I'd share it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOLN4n1agaU

Milothedog replied on 25/08/2019 12:17

Posted on 24/08/2019 21:13 by EmilysDad

I think it's always a good idea to have some kind of box of electrickery to 'talk' to your car with ... obviously none of them will be able to do as much as the specific dealer kit, but they'll give you a starter for 10. And you can normally buy one for not much more than a garage will charge you for plugging their kit in just once.

Posted on 25/08/2019 12:17

As an Aside MM, a mate of mine bought a 57 plate ML350 last year and purchased an OBD2 reader for it which is make and model specific. About £200 IIRC and reads an awlful lot more than the generic OBD DTC's.

I can contact him and ask him for details if your interested. cool

EmilysDad replied on 25/08/2019 16:26

Posted on 25/08/2019 12:17 by Milothedog

As an Aside MM, a mate of mine bought a 57 plate ML350 last year and purchased an OBD2 reader for it which is make and model specific. About £200 IIRC and reads an awlful lot more than the generic OBD DTC's.

I can contact him and ask him for details if your interested. cool

Posted on 25/08/2019 16:26

Thanks Milo but that will probably be an iCarsoft MBII .... I have the previous iCarsoft i980 which is the more basic version. But it will talk to my Smarts too 😊 

Thanks for the thought though 😉

Devon101 replied on 21/11/2019 11:25

Posted on 21/11/2019 11:25

Just out of interest, I have a MoHo built on a Peugeot Boxer BlueHDi 160.  My "change engine oil" light came on at 2400 miles / 4 months.  It has since been cleared - like many others...
I've come to two conclusions after talking to Peugeot and Motorhome service stations.
1. The reason why there are so many low mileage *change engine oil* messages in the first year is because they haven't been reset at time of pick-up. From what I've been told, the system thinks the vehicle has been doing short trips as the average mileage is below expectation (in a given period) - probably because it spends the first six months just been driven around the convertors premises, driven to show rooms, etc. The vehicle doesn’t have an on-board lab so it's impossible to test the quality of the oil so the message is more of a warning that short journeys "may" contaminate the oil if there's no regular/completed DPF filtration.
2. The service book (and Peugeot) indicates that the oil change (unless specific circumstances) is every 24 months / 25k. I know there are purist (like me) that like to change it annually but the Euro5/6 engines have been vigorously tested and deterioration of the oil hasn't been noticeable up to 20k over any period (google it). I assume engine components are more advanced nowadays and the oil grade/additives have improved to comply with EU regulations. Even if contaminated with diesel, it doesn't affect the lubrication properties of the oil (apparently?).
So in a nutshell, don't be too alarmed if you get a "change engine oil" message at low mileage within first year.  And just stick to the recommended 25k / 2 year service interval.  Changing the oil annually won't do any harm but it it won't have any major benefits either.

Highlander55 replied on 03/02/2020 16:09

Posted on 03/02/2020 16:09

I have had a 19 Plate AS Broadway/Peugeot 160hp for 9 moths now with 2460 miles on it, which has just started flashing the red oil can symbol and showing a 'Change Oil' message on the dash display.

The You Tube 'fix' hasn't worked.

I am reluctant to ignore it, as I plan to tour Spain in just over a month but am miffed that it may take an actual oil change to sort this out - ideas? 

EmilysDad replied on 03/02/2020 17:31

Posted on 03/02/2020 16:09 by Highlander55

I have had a 19 Plate AS Broadway/Peugeot 160hp for 9 moths now with 2460 miles on it, which has just started flashing the red oil can symbol and showing a 'Change Oil' message on the dash display.

The You Tube 'fix' hasn't worked.

I am reluctant to ignore it, as I plan to tour Spain in just over a month but am miffed that it may take an actual oil change to sort this out - ideas? 

Posted on 03/02/2020 17:31

The only thing I can suggest is to take it to a local garage, explain the low mileage, see what they say. An oil change isn't much and it could be argued that even low mileage vehicle should have annual oil changes (SWMBO's car only does 3000 miles a year and has an annual service) The garage will likely have a box of electrickery that will talk to your motorhome and will reset the 'change oil' message

Mr OrangeTree replied on 04/02/2020 11:39

Posted on 04/02/2020 11:39

My light came on at 4200 miles, too.  On exactly the anniversary of the vans registration.

Actually, I don't mind changing the oil each year.  But obviously, the dealer wasn't willing to do that, wanting to do a full service instead.  Which I guess is hardly surprising.  

sxf1956 replied on 25/05/2020 11:32

Posted on 25/05/2020 11:32

Wow this has just saved me a lot of effort. My 2019 Boxer had only covered 1800 miles when this came up and I was thinking head gasket issues etc but oil was looking fine. On the point of contacting dealer, I just typed the issue Into google and there it was thanks. So I can report this still affects new vans coming up about a year after manufacture if not reset by dealer at point of sale. I would imagine still applies to Ducati and Relay as all have same dash.

EmilysDad replied on 25/05/2020 11:48

Posted on 25/05/2020 11:32 by sxf1956

Wow this has just saved me a lot of effort. My 2019 Boxer had only covered 1800 miles when this came up and I was thinking head gasket issues etc but oil was looking fine. On the point of contacting dealer, I just typed the issue Into google and there it was thanks. So I can report this still affects new vans coming up about a year after manufacture if not reset by dealer at point of sale. I would imagine still applies to Ducati and Relay as all have same dash.

Posted on 25/05/2020 11:48

A lot of vehicles have some way of tell you it would like a service by either using a spanner symbol or a message of some kind. They come up at a set time interval or set mileage, which ever comes first. But remember they do need a service (at least an oil change) .... not just resetting. Low mileage vehicles probably suffer as much as higher mileage vehicles as they often don't get fully hot enough to remove water/condensation from the oil.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook