C1 driving licence renewal problems

Vincevan replied on 27/03/2020 10:28

Posted on 27/03/2020 10:28

Hi

My hubby will be 70 in May and he has to renew his driving licence with C1 entitlement.  Because of the coronavirus he is having problems getting an appointment with his GP to get the medical form done and signed.  It is difficult as we all realise that with the emergency situation we now have, his medical form is low down the list of importance for our GPs, but he doesn't know how he will be placed if he can't renew this licence in time and will then not be able to drive our motorhome out just to keep the batteries topped up.  It is currently kept in a compound.  He doesn't want to lose hisC1 entitlement.  He rang the DVLA but they are difficult to get hold of and no-one seems able to give him advice when he does get through.  Has anyone had similar problems?

Tinwheeler replied on 27/03/2020 15:52

Posted on 27/03/2020 15:37 by

TW,

Takes us back to your previous question of whether we have crossed paths previously; as in  ...

Metaphor = 'I know your face from somewhere ...' tongue-out

Steve

Posted on 27/03/2020 15:52

Your face has many doubles on this forum. 😄

replied on 27/03/2020 16:38

Posted on 27/03/2020 15:52 by Tinwheeler

Your face has many doubles on this forum. 😄

Posted on 27/03/2020 16:38

Not strictly 2 faced. I tend to use the second for sitting on ... And occasionally for talking out of, especially when I feel the need for more more bass, or indeed a full report in preference to a brief comment ... sealed

I did post on Caravan Talk and have posted on other online Forums such as C&CC, Guardian, Independent, Telegraph and some Scotland-specific sites. Any common ground in that lot?

Steve

JVB66 replied on 27/03/2020 16:43

Posted on 27/03/2020 16:38 by

Not strictly 2 faced. I tend to use the second for sitting on ... And occasionally for talking out of, especially when I feel the need for more more bass, or indeed a full report in preference to a brief comment ... sealed

I did post on Caravan Talk and have posted on other online Forums such as C&CC, Guardian, Independent, Telegraph and some Scotland-specific sites. Any common ground in that lot?

Steve

Posted on 27/03/2020 16:43

Your sense of humour you will find at times, on here ,like mine, not appreciated by those without any cool

Ps can tell you are an "incomer up there"wink

Tinwheeler replied on 27/03/2020 16:59

Posted on 27/03/2020 16:38 by

Steve

Posted on 27/03/2020 16:59

No, I don’t think so. It was someone on here.

davetommo replied on 27/03/2020 17:32

Posted on 27/03/2020 17:32

Regarding davetommo's post, taking the van out for a run is not just a question of moving the wheels around but charging up the batteries which if left to run down completely will need replacing. Costly!!!!

You can charge the battery with just the engine running, various ways brick on accelerator piece of wood  wedged. 

triky auto replied on 27/03/2020 20:44

Posted on 27/03/2020 20:44

undecided " Doctors on Wheels" are the organisation,BUT as said earlier ,,they may not be working AT THIS TIME ,,,or the government is trying to outlaw them!! I had to use my Doctor this year, blood preasure eye test health record,height & weight ,alcohol use,etc but previously used D o W's.  which was a fraction of the cost !! surprised.

richardandros replied on 28/03/2020 10:20

Posted on 27/03/2020 20:44 by triky auto

undecided " Doctors on Wheels" are the organisation,BUT as said earlier ,,they may not be working AT THIS TIME ,,,or the government is trying to outlaw them!! I had to use my Doctor this year, blood preasure eye test health record,height & weight ,alcohol use,etc but previously used D o W's.  which was a fraction of the cost !! surprised.

Posted on 28/03/2020 10:20

That was the one I checked - no new appointments at the moment.

Navigateur replied on 28/03/2020 15:45

Posted on 28/03/2020 15:45

I have full lorry and bus entitlement and found a problem with renewal last year in getting the medical completed, so I phoned and spoke to the DVLA (expensive rates!). 

Their advice was that should I not have submitted the medical form before the renewal date my "extra" entitlements would lapse, and my "ordinary" entitlements continue until the expiriy date on my licence.   I could then submit the form and have the "extra" entitlements restored.

Dellers replied on 16/09/2020 16:38

Posted on 16/09/2020 16:38

I am very interested in the outcome of this thread. Coming up to the 'Golden Age' myself in two years so not soon enough to need to see my GP yet. What do they actually check for, I have seen blood pressure, eye tests, health record, height & weight, alcohol use etc mentioned above but are there any other significant checks?

Tinwheeler replied on 16/09/2020 16:57

Posted on 16/09/2020 16:57

I doubt we'll hear, Dellers, as it was 6 months ago.

Unless you need the C1 licence (over 3500kg laden) you won’t need to bother with the medical at all but I expect you'll find the answer to your question by Googling. 

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook