Converted Van Motorhome

ScottPente replied on 27/01/2020 09:05

Posted on 27/01/2020 09:05

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have experience of buying a van that has been converted to a motorhome, and what recommendations could you give?

I have my eye on a Citroen Relay (2007) van that has been converted to a 3/4 birth, with the fixed bed and garage in the back, but whilst it has FSH, it does have 250,000 miles on the clock.

Should I be put off by the miles, or should I pay more attention to the service history?

Scott

Tinwheeler replied on 27/01/2020 09:18

Posted on 27/01/2020 09:18

It depends on the price. I’d not want a van with 250k on the clock unless it was so cheap I could afford to scrap it or fork out for repairs in the near future.

2007 means it’s probably one of the early X250 types and they did have issues, although Fiat were the worst.

You don’t say if this van is a home made conversion or done by a recognised converter. If the latter, it will comply with set UK regs and standards but if the former, who knows?

replied on 27/01/2020 09:28

Posted on 27/01/2020 09:28

You don’t say if this van is a home made conversion or done by a recognised converter. If the latter, it will comply with set UK regs and standards but if the former, who knows?

The Reg document should show.

ScottPente replied on 27/01/2020 09:42

Posted on 27/01/2020 09:42

Hi guys, the listing shows the van has been classified as a motorhome/caravan with the DVLA, but I would obviously double check that on the reg doc.

It's a home conversion, they have used various sources for the van build, and kept up the servicing on the engine.

It has a buy it now price of £8,500, but given the opportunity I would haggle to get that down to nearer £7000.

I am told the van has been looked after, which from what I know is better than a van with less miles and a part service history. Cambelt was recently changed (I'm guessing for the second time!), just waiting on further info.

Tinwheeler replied on 27/01/2020 09:55

Posted on 27/01/2020 09:42 by ScottPente

Hi guys, the listing shows the van has been classified as a motorhome/caravan with the DVLA, but I would obviously double check that on the reg doc.

It's a home conversion, they have used various sources for the van build, and kept up the servicing on the engine.

It has a buy it now price of £8,500, but given the opportunity I would haggle to get that down to nearer £7000.

I am told the van has been looked after, which from what I know is better than a van with less miles and a part service history. Cambelt was recently changed (I'm guessing for the second time!), just waiting on further info.

Posted on 27/01/2020 09:55

Has it got any certificates of conformity - gas/elec for instance? I’d not take too much notice of service history, personally  

Only you can decide, Scott, but if it’s eBay, watch out for scams.

MillieMaster replied on 03/03/2020 21:35

Posted on 03/03/2020 21:35

As a passionate self builder, personally speaking I would NEVER EVER consider buying a professionally converted van as every single pro. converter cuts corners in one way or another and has a habit of disguising their bodgery!

With regards to the van in question, personally speaking I would steer away from one with that kind of mileage as it is not only the engine you have to worry about but quite literally every single other mechanical and more importantly braking and suspension component all of which can be an absolute nightmare to service and repair.

As for the build/conversion quality, it should be immediately obvious as to how well it has been converted, the quality (or lack of) of the materials used as well as of course the overall feel.  As for certification, amongst we converters, this is and always has been such an enormous red herring which my insurers don't bother about. However, speaking personally, I always carry out a thorough check/test at least once per annum as indeed any sensible owner with any kind of DIY capability and skill can do and as a potential purchaser it should be something that would take you no more than an hour to carry out a very comprehensive inspection.

Near Malvern Hills Club Campsite by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook